Potato croquettes are a staple antipasto in Italy.They are a really great snack food. Very crispy outside and so soft inside. Must try this Italian snack!
Did you know that you can utilize leftover potatoes to make a great snack? Well, as early as the 1800s to 1900s, ancient people would prepare potato croquettes easily using these foods. They would either use it as a snack or even as a component of antipasto. It is now considered a legacy for French chefs, who during then, would prepare potato crisps for their masters. Since then, people have accumulated the knowledge and technique from the French chefs to prepare the delicacy. You too can now enjoy it directly from your home if you keenly read along;
In the preparation of any food, you will need the best ingredients. Here, you will need fresh potatoes or even leftover potatoes as the main ingredient. In addition to this, you will need parsley, Parmesan, large eggs, ground salt and pepper, breadcrumbs, and vegetable oil. You can as well add some fresh chives and flour to your list. To make it even more delicious, you can incorporate butter to your mixture for that smooth, soothing aroma, and make it more appetizing.
Now that you’ve collected all the necessary ingredients, you can proceed to the preparation of your snack. Begin by boiling your fresh potatoes until they are soft, peel and pass them through a food mill to extensively mash them. On the other hand, if you’re using leftovers, warm them in the microwave before mashing them. With the mashed potatoes aside, prepare a flour-egg white mixture in a bowl, and pour the breadcrumbs into a separate bowl.
On the other side, make an all-in-one mixture of 2 large egg yolks, a half cup grated Parmesan, parsley, and two tablespoons chopped fresh chives with some butter. Add this mixture to the set-aside mashed potatoes and mix thoroughly. After thorough mixing, shape it into several balls ready to cook. With the potato croquettes ready to cook, take each one at a time, deep it in the flour mixture, completely coat it with the breadcrumbs and set them aside in a clean bowl.
Now here is the fun part! You need to pour enough vegetable oil into your skillet and heat it until its boiling point. With the oil at that temperature, take one potato ball at a time and deep fry it in the pan. Alternatively, you can add several balls at a go. However, do it very careful to avoid spilling hot vegetable oil on yourself. You should fry the potato croquette in the oil until they turn golden brown or are crisp. And there, your all-time favorite snack is ready to serve. It is advisable to drain them on a paper towel, so you do not ingest the excess oil.
Hence, if you are at home wondering what snack is easy to prepare, the potato croquettes should be your next adventure. Not only is it quick and easy to make, and require few ingredients but it also puts your leftovers to good use. However, ensure especially in the deep frying part that you are very cautious not spill hot oil and burn yourself.
HOW TO MAKE POTATO CROQUETTES
- Unpeeled potatoes, scrubbed- 1 kg / 2¼ lb
- Parmesan cheese ( freshly grated)- 4 tbsp
- Unsalted butter, melted- 3 tbsp / 65 gm
- Fresh Parsley, finely chopped- 2 tbsp
- Eggs, separated- 2
- All-purpose flour ( for coating)- ⅔ cup /75 gm
- Dried Breadcrumbs- generous 1 cup / 75 gm
- Vegetable oil- 4 cups/ 1 liter ( for deep-frying)
- Salt and ground black pepper- To taste
- Take a large saucepan, put the potatoes, cover with cold water and bring to boil. Cook until softened.Drain and peel while the potatoes are hot . Then push them through the food mill with large holes several times. You can use a ricer. Mix and blend them until smooth.
- Add the butter, Parmesan and Parsley. Then season with salt and pepper. Gradually blend in the egg yolks, one at a time.
- Shape croquettes.
- Put some flour on a plate. Put egg whites in a bowl, and whisk until foaming. Put the breadcrumbs on another plate.
- Dip each croquette in the flour until coated all over, then dip it into the egg whites, and finally coat in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a large pan to 180 C/ 350 F or until a small cube of bread browns in 40 seconds.
- Fry the croquettes until crisp and golden.
- Serve piping hot.