This Sicilian-style stuffed squid is so simple to make and absolutely delicious. It is gorgeous! Just slice and serve with linguine.
As a chef or even a mum, you can’t help yourself from looking for other foods to try? You are constantly in the watch out for great diets and techniques that will generally improve your taste, and how you prepare meals? If you are this kind of person, then here is a new tactic to add to your cooking list.
Talking of amazing diets to try, stuffed squid is a delicacy, when prepared right, will render you a foodie in it. It involves the use of squids stuffed in breadcrumbs as a filling. There are various ways to prepare this outstanding meal. You can prepare it as fried, roasted by the Sicilian style, grilled or even braised. No matter the method you choose, it’s mouth-watering and delicious. More importantly, in its preparation, you are not pinned down on specific ingredients to use. You are free to use any ingredients and flavors of your own preference. Here, we are going to prepare it through the fried technique.
Needless to say, how amazing and tasty your meal will be (even any other meal) boils down to the choice of ingredients. You should choose fresh, juicy and healthy ingredients, and in stuffed squid, this shouldn’t be an exception. You will need very fresh and juicy tomatoes, pepper, fresh parsley, olive oil, an egg, pecorino cheese, dry breadcrumbs, and seeded squids. To add exquisite flavor to your meal, you can include cloves, fronds, chopped fillets, and lemon zest. As if not enough to boost its taste, include dried oregano, pine nuts, and ground fennel seeds.
However, not to ruin the hard work you’ve gone through to gather these components for a great stuffed squid meal, prepare them very cautiously. To start off, ensure the squids are seeded, peeled and heads carefully chopped off. They then should be washed thoroughly, without their membrane, in cold running water for a while. Additionally, the cloves should be crushed into tiny pieces while the other ingredients prepared as per preference.
We can now get to the cooking, shall we? To begin, you can prepare the breadcrumb filling first, and set aside. Do this by pouring the dry breadcrumbs in a bowl, then the cheese on top while binding the mixture with the beaten egg. Mix well for a uniform stuffing. Now prepare the chopped squids, cleaned and seeded. Add the breadcrumb stuffing in them, and pierce them shut with toothpicks in their edges. On the other side of your kitchen, on a pan, fry the tomatoes and the remaining ingredients in olive oil to make a thick tasty sauce. These ingredients should be deep fried in oil to near boil, then simmered while stirring to avoid burning. When the sauce is ready, take the squids with breadcrumbs stuffing and deep them in it. You can cover the pan, and simmer under this mixture moderate heat till they are very tender. And there is your delicacy. You can serve and enjoy!
Though it takes a while (approximately two hours) to prepare a stuffed squid meal, it is worthwhile. It is a meal that is not only delicious but nutritious as well. However, ensure that it is prepared right from the beginning or else, it will taste wrong.
HOW TO MAKE STUFFED SQUID
- Medium Squid- 1 kg
- Italian Plum tomatoes( peeled and seeded)- 12 or 2 cans
- Olive Oil- 120 ml/ 4 tbsp
- Garlic cloves( finely chopped)- 3
- Dry breadcrumbs- 1 cup
- Grated Pecorino/Parmesan cheese-8 tbsp
- Beaten eggs- 3
- Salt- to taste
- To garnish
- Chopped parsley
- Ground black pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, shallow pan. Add the chopped garlic and fry over medium heat for 5 minutes until it is slightly brown. Don't burn it otherwise you will end with a bitter sauce.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan and season with salt & pepper to taste.Let it simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Stir frequently and add a little water if the sauce becomes dry.
- In a bowl combine breadcrumbs with beaten eggs.
- Divide the stuffing equally among squid. Spoon the stuffing into squid. The mixture will double in size during cooking. Try not to overfill the squid.
- Secure the squid with wooden toothpicks.
- Put the stuffed squid into the sauce, cover the pan and cook 1½ hours or until the squid is tender. ( You may add more water if needing ).
- Season with salt and pepper.
Serve hot or cold, garnished with the chopped parsley.
With crusty bread or fresh green salad.