This Sicilian-style stuffed squid is so simple to make and absolutely delicious. It is gorgeous! Just slice and serve with linguine.
- Medium Squid- 1 kg
- Italian Plum tomatoes( peeled and seeded)- 12 or 2 cans
- Olive Oil- 120 ml/ 4 tbsp
- Garlic cloves( finely chopped)- 3
- Dry breadcrumbs- 1 cup
- Grated Pecorino/Parmesan cheese-8 tbsp
- Beaten eggs- 3
- Salt- to taste
- To garnish
- Chopped parsley
- Ground black pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, shallow pan. Add the chopped garlic and fry over medium heat for 5 minutes until it is slightly brown. Don't burn it otherwise you will end with a bitter sauce.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan and season with salt & pepper to taste.Let it simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Stir frequently and add a little water if the sauce becomes dry.
- In a bowl combine breadcrumbs with beaten eggs.
- Divide the stuffing equally among squid. Spoon the stuffing into squid. The mixture will double in size during cooking. Try not to overfill the squid.
- Secure the squid with wooden toothpicks.
- Put the stuffed squid into the sauce, cover the pan and cook 1 1/2 hours or until the squid is tender. ( You may add more water if needing ).
- Season with salt and pepper.
Serve hot or cold, garnished with the chopped parsley.
With crusty bread or fresh green salad.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 min
- Category: SEAFOOD/FISH RECIPES
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: Per portion
- Calories: 418 kcal
- Sugar: 7.4 g
- Sodium: 508 mg
- Fat: 21.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.7 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 37.7 g
- Cholesterol: 456 mg
Keywords: stuffed squid recipe, squid recipes, seafood recipes