Velveeta is a pretty commonly enjoyed cheese! Kids and adults alike love Velveeta in mac & cheese, casseroles, and a variety of other dishes. What is it that sets Velveeta apart? Of course, it’s this cheese’s easy meltability. Learn how to melt Velveeta cheese on stove, in microwave, crock pot or in a double boiler with our guide.
What is Velveeta Cheese?
Velveeta was originally introduced in the late 1920s. It’s a processed cheese product known for its distinctively deep yellow color and smooth, velvety texture. Typically, Velveeta is melted to use as a dip for nachos, or in a green bean casserole. It’s also used as the main melted cheese in many mac & cheese recipes.
Velveeta was always intended to be a velvety, smooth, edible cheese product. Its smoothness and easy melting ability are features of Velveeta that have been selling points for this cheese product since the very beginning.
Velveeta is made mostly from whey protein concentrate, milk protein concentrate, milk, fat, and preservatives, so it does not meet the Food and Drug Administration’s criteria to be labeled as real cheese. Instead, it is considered a cheese product, and labeled as such.
How to Melt Velveeta Cheese
Melting Velveeta Cheese on the Stove (in a Saucepan)
- First, cut the cheese into ½ inch cubes.
- Then you’ll melt some butter in a saucepan. Use medium/low heat. Then stir the butter using a wooden spoon until it melts.
- Next, add the Velveeta.
- Stir the mix until it’s about halfway melted. This prevents the edges from burning.
- Once the cheese has melted, add milk, continuing to stir until the consistency is smooth.
- Now season with your favorite spices, and get ready to enjoy your silky smooth melted Velveeta!
Melting it in the Microwave
- First, cut your Velveeta into small pieces.
- Now place a small amount of butter in a microwave proof bowl. Add the cheese, too.
- Now place your bowl, with the butter and cheese in, in the microwave. Set the heat to medium, and cook the cheese for about two minutes.
- When the cheese has melted, remove the bowl from the microwave. Stir well, ensuring that the cheese and the butter are fully combined. You want the liquid mixture to be hot all the way through. Season with your favorite spices and enjoy!
With the microwave, with no added milk, the cheese will be thicker.
Melting it in a Slow Cooker
- First, cut or shred about a pound of Velveeta.
- Now place your cheese pieces in the slow cooker, covering with the lid.
- Set your slow cooker to low, allowing the cheese to heat up over about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After the first 30 minutes has passed, leave to continue melting for one hour. It is imperative not to remove the lid or stir in this time.
- After the time has elapsed, season with your favorite spices and enjoy!
Melting it in a Double Boiler
- First, cut your Velveeta into ½ inch cubes.
- Next, you’re going to pour some water into the bottom half of the double boiler, bringing it to a boil. Reduce the heat when the water reached a rolling boil.
- Add a small amount of butter to the upper half of your double boiler, allowing the butter to melt.
- Once the butter has melted, add your Velveeta cubes.
- Finally, stir the cheese with a wooden spoon until the butter and the cheese are combined, melted into a smooth consistency. Season to your preference, and enjoy!
Of course, there are a few schools of thought on the best way to melt Velveeta, or any cheese for that matter. Depending on your kitchen and the tools you have available, your ability to melt Velveeta will vary. You might have different appliances available, or want to try a different method of melting the cheese.
Velveeta works best when melted, and that’s when you get to really enjoy the cheese’s velvety, smooth texture. It really adds so much flavor and texture to any cheesy, creamy dish, and we recommend trying it if you haven’t already!
You May Also Like
How to Tell When Meatloaf is Done
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
How to Melt Velveeta Cheese
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
Velveeta is a pretty commonly enjoyed cheese! Kids and adults alike love Velveeta in mac & cheese, casseroles, and a variety of other dishes. What is it that sets Velveeta apart? Of course, it’s this cheese’s easy meltability.
- 2 cups Velveeta cheese, shredded or cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- Seasoning of your choice
- Shred the cheese from the block or cut into ½ inch cubes.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium low heat.
- Once it is melted, add Velveeta cheese. Stir continuously until it's about the halfway melting point.
- When the cheese is melted, add ⅓ cup milk and continue to stir with a wooden spoon or spatula. Stir until you achieve a smooth consistency
- Season with your favorite spices.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Cooking basics
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 445kcal
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 2263mg
- Fat: 30g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Protein: 19g
- Cholesterol: 22g
Keywords: how to melt velveeta cheese, how to melt velveeta cheese in microwave, how to melt velveeta cheese on stove
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
Leave a Reply