Creamy Dijon Chicken is incredibly delicious and fast weeknight chicken dish. Pan seared chicken breasts are coated in a restaurant-quality creamy Dijon sauce with smoked beef and baby spinach. Keto- friendly and gluten free. Serve with steamed rice or over pasta.
Easy chicken recipes
I love easy and healthy chicken recipes. As you know chicken breast is the healthiest part of a bird, it is a good sauce of protein and low in fat. At the same time it is easy to cook chicken breasts as they are usually sold skinless and boneless unlike chicken thighs. And if you have a few picky eaters, it is better to use skinless piece of meat. So you get both of two worlds, a healthy chicken meal that it is easy to make. Chicken thighs can be used as well. I usually struggle to find skinless chicken thighs here in Dubai, this is another reason why I prefer chicken breasts to thighs for the recipes with sauces.
Dijon mustard sauce
The sauce has lots of amazing flavours. It is incredibly delicious and goes well with everything. Even if you are not a big fan of any mustard, I am sure you will love the sauce with Dijon. Start with 1 tbsp., wait until it completely dissolves, do a taste test, if you like, don’t add another tablespoon. On the other hand, to get a deeper, more pronounced mustard flavour, add 1 extra tbsp. of Dijon. Feel free to adapt the recipe to your liking.
Ingredients to make Dijon chicken
- Chicken breast/thighs: Use chicken breasts for a healthier version or chicken thighs for keto-friendly chicken Dijon. Both will work really well.
- Herbs: The recipe calls for dried thyme and rosemary as they tend to give spicier, deeper flavours than fresh ones. But you can add fresh herbs as well. Ratio: 1 tsp. of dried herb= 1 tbsp. of fresh.
- Garlic: Fresh gives better taste and flavour. Fresh garlic is the way to go, but you can use bottled or garlic powder.
- Onion: You will need a small red onion for this recipe. Cook it until it translucent or golden brown for a deeper flavour.
- Smokey beef: I used smoked beef, but I understand that in different parts of the world you might not find it. Turkey bacon or bacon will give the similar results.
- Dijon mustard: Dijon is creamer than regular American yellow mustard. At the same time it is spicier as it is made of black mustard seeds. If you don’t have in your pantry, use classic American mustard to substitute Dijon.
- Half and half: Both cream and half & half work. For vegan version use coconut cream.
- Chicken stock: Use low sodium chicken stock. It is easier to control the saltiness.
- Baby spinach: I prefer to use baby spinach as the flavour of baby spinach is milder than that of matured spinach. But, you can use matured spinach too.
- Parmesan Cheese. Parmesan cheese is perfect for this sauce, but other Italian hard cheeses can be used.
How to make Creamy Dijon Chicken
- Season chicken with salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- Pan sear chicken breasts/thighs in a large skillet, then transfer to a large plate.
- Cook smoked beef, transfer to a plate and keep aside.
- Sauté onion until golden brown, add garlic and herbs.
- Whisk in chicken broth and allow to simmer until the sauce has reduced, stir in cream, Dijon and Parmesan and season to your taste.
- When cheese is melted, add spinach.
- Return chicken breasts to the skillet and top with smoked beef.
This Creamy Dijon Chicken is very versatile, it goes well with everything.
- Instant Pot Jasmine Rice
- Brown Rice
- Homemade Pasta
- Mashed Potatoes with brown butter
- Steamed broccoli
- Cauliflower rice
You can store this chicken up to 3-4 days in the fridge.
If you make this Creamy Dijon chicken be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating! I will be happy to hear from you!
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation and hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
OTHER CHICKEN RECIPES