These Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Chicken Skewers are a delicious and healthy meal. Made with tender chicken breast and zesty lemon pepper seasoning, they're quick and easy to cook in the air fryer. Perfect for a weeknight dinner!
Chicken Skewers in Air Fryer
Have you ever wondered if you can cook chicken skewers (also known as kabobs or kebabs) in your air fryer? The answer is yes, and it's quick and easy to do! In fact, you can cook just about anything skewered in the air fryer or air fryer oven, from beef to shrimp, lamb, vegetables, fruits, and more. If it can be cooked in a conventional oven, then you can definitely cook it in your air fryer too.
Lemon Pepper Seasoning
Homemade seasoning blends are often fresher and more flavorful than store-bought ones. In the case of Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Chicken Skewers, using homemade seasoning takes the dish to the next level, providing a burst of fresh, zesty flavor that complements the tender and juicy chicken. Be sure to check out our recipe for Homemade Lemon Pepper Seasoning. Make a large batch to have it always on hand.
Here are some ingredient notes for Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Chicken Skewers:
- Chicken: You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs or chicken breast for this recipe. Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes so they cook evenly on the skewers.
- Lemon zest and juice: Use fresh lemons for the best flavor.
- Olive oil: Extra-virgin olive oil works best for this recipe, but you can also use avocado oil, grapeseed oil, or another high smoke point oil.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic cloves provide the best flavor, but you can also use minced garlic from a jar.
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper: Freshly ground pepper has a more intense flavor and aroma compared to pre-ground pepper, which can lose its potency over time. If you don't have whole peppercorns, you can use pre-ground black pepper instead, but the flavor may not be as strong. Adjust the amount of salt and pepper to your taste preferences.
- Unsalted Butter: It's best to use unsalted butter so that you can control the amount of salt in the recipe. If you only have salted butter on hand, adjust the amount of added salt accordingly.
- Paprika: Use sweet or smoked paprika depending on your preference. Sweet paprika has a milder flavor while smoked paprika has a smoky, slightly spicy taste.
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Skewers
- Place the chicken, salt, pepper, garlic, lemon zest, and olive oil in a large bowl. Mix everything well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes to marinate. For best results, marinate the chicken overnight.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the softened butter, salt, pepper, lemon juice, lemon zest, and paprika until fully combined.
- Thread the marinated chicken thighs onto skewers, ensuring the meat is tightly packed on each skewer. Place the skewers in the air fryer basket and set the temperature to 350 degrees.
- Cook for 12 minutes, then open the air fryer and flip the skewers to cook the other side. Cook for an additional 7-10 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. You can check the temperature using a meat thermometer by inserting it into one of the chicken pieces. Once cooked, brush the skewers with lemon pepper butter and serve immediately.
Here are some tips to make the perfect Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Chicken Skewers:
- Soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes before threading the chicken to prevent them from burning in the air fryer.
- Cut the chicken into evenly sized pieces to ensure that they cook evenly.
- Season the chicken well with lemon pepper seasoning and any other desired spices for maximum flavor.
- Spray the chicken skewers lightly with cooking spray before air frying to help them get crispy.
- Flip halfway through cooking to ensure that they cook evenly on all sides.
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken with a meat thermometer to ensure that it reaches at least 165°F (74°C) for safe consumption.
- Brush them with some lemon pepper butter right after cooking! This will add even more flavor and moisture to the chicken, making them even more delicious.
Let the skewers cool to room temperature first. Then, remove the chicken from the skewers and place them in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag. Store the container or bag in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. If you want to store the chicken for a longer time, you can freeze it for up to 2-3 months. To reheat the chicken skewers, you can either use the air fryer again or microwave them until heated through.
- Air Fryer method: Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the chicken skewers in the air fryer basket and cook for 5-8 minutes, or until heated through. If the chicken starts to dry out, you can brush it with a little bit of oil or melted butter to add moisture.
- Microwave Method: Alternatively, you can reheat the chicken skewers in the microwave. Place the chicken on a microwave-safe plate and cover it with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through. Check the chicken for doneness and adjust the cooking time if needed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Marinating time can vary, but it's best to marinate the chicken for at least 15 minutes, up to 24 hours. The longer the chicken marinates, the more flavorful it will be.
Yes, you can use wooden skewers, but make sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before using them. This will prevent the skewers from burning in the air fryer.
Yes, you can use chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs, but the cooking time may vary. Chicken breasts tend to dry out faster than chicken thighs, so make sure to monitor the cooking time and check the internal temperature of the chicken to avoid overcooking.
Yes, you can cook other meats or vegetables in the air fryer along with the chicken skewers, but make sure they have similar cooking times and temperatures. You can also cook them separately and add them to the skewers after cooking.
Other Easy Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
Shake and Bake Chicken in Air Fryer
Air Fryer Sweet and Sour Chicken
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Bites
Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Mayo
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment or give this recipe a rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐! I will be happy to hear from you!Print
Air Fryer Chicken Skewers
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
Enjoy a delicious and healthy meal with these Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Chicken Skewers. Made with tender chicken thighs and zesty pepper seasoning, they're easy to cook and perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.
- 1 pound skinless and boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Lemon Pepper Butter
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Add the chicken, salt, pepper, garlic, lemon zest, and olive oil to a large bowl. Toss everything well until thoroughly combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate for at least 15 minutes in the refrigerator. For even better results, marinate overnight.
- Skewer the marinated chicken thighs by packing the meat tightly onto each skewer.
- Put the skewers inside the air fryer basket. Set the temperature to 350 degrees and cook for 12 minutes.
- Open the air fryer and flip the skewers to cook the other side. Cook for an additional 7-10 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. You can check the temperature using a meat thermometer by inserting it into one of the chicken pieces.
- After the skewers are cooked, baste them with the lemon pepper butter and serve immediately.
Lemon Pepper Butter
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, salt, pepper, lemon juice, lemon zest, and paprika. Mix thoroughly until combined.
Storage: Let the skewers cool to room temperature first. Then, remove the chicken from the skewers and place them in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag. Store the container or bag in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. If you want to store the chicken for a longer time, you can freeze it for up to 2-3 months. To reheat the chicken skewers, you can either use the air fryer again or microwave them until heated through.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Air fryer recipes
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 199 kcal
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 165 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 24 g
- Cholesterol: 71 mg
Keywords: air fryer chicken skewers, chicken skewers in air fryer, how long to cook chicken skewers in air fryer
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images and content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you want to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
Leave a Reply