THIN CRUST PIZZA DOUGH (ROMANA PIZZA DOUGH). Makes 6-7 pizzas ( 30 cm in diameter each).
When it comes to comfort food, pizza is first in line. The perfect combination of carbs, cheese and your favorite toppings can bring comfort on even the worst days. Although there are lots of takeout options, nothing beats a homemade thin crust pizza dough, baked to perfection from the comfort of your own kitchen and devoured along with wine and the company of your partner or BFF. If your experience has been anything like ours, the base can quite easily flop and ruin the experience altogether. That’s why we’ve included a trusted, tasty recipe in today’s blog
Bear in mind that this recipe makes enough dough for six or seven pizzas. If you don’t plan to make that many, it’s possible to freeze the excess dough for later usage. When you defrost it on a later occasion, make sure to allow it to warm up to room temperature before you roll it out as it stretches more easily then. When you get to stretching the dough, it’s best to do this at a distance above the kitchen surface as the gravity will help you to stretch it to full capacity.
You will know that the dough has been sufficiently kneaded when you break off a piece and gently pull it apart, and you find that there are lots of little strings of dough. At this point, you can place the dough in the fridge to start the proofing process.
For an authentic Italian tomato sauce, be sure to toss in generous portions of garlic, basil and olive oil. Oregano is also a delicious, sweet herb that works well in a tomato sauce. The herbs will be strained out before you use the sauce, but they will add a distinct and delicious flavor to the pizza. Also note that tomato is not a necessity for Italian pizza chefs, and feel free to leave it out if you’re not in the mood. While mozzarella is the most common cheese to use on a pizza, burrata is a soft hybrid of mozzarella and cream that makes for a delicious addition to your base. Different varieties of cream cheese make for a rich replacement for mozzarella when spread over the pizza base.
If you’re a fan of cheesy flavors, you can add cubed Gouda, slices of brie or crumbled blue cheese to the toppings on your pizza. We recommend you use cheese straight from the fridge to keep it from burning in the oven, as it warms faster than most other ingredients. In order to create a stuffed crust, line the edge of your pizza with grated cheese and proceed to tuck the dough around it. This is not a traditional Italian trick, but it is delicious.
Aside from the most common toppings for pizza, there are some unexpected ingredients that make for a unique flavor experience. Fruits such as pears and peaches add a delicious sweetness, especially in combination with cured meats such as salami and pittance. You can even drizzle honey over your pizza to bring out the flavors.
THIN CRUST PIZZA DOUGH RECIPE ( ROMANA PIZZA DOUGH)
- All-Purpose Flour- 6 cups or 750 gm
- Sugar- 2 tbsp or 75 gm
- Active dry Yeast- 2¾ tsp or 8 gm
- Cold water- 1½ cup plus 2 tbsp (355 gm)
- Extra-virgin olive oil- ¼ cup or 60 gm
- Salt-21/2 tsp or 15 gm
- In a bowl of your electrical stand mixer combine sugar,water, olive oil and flour. Add active dry yeast.
- Mix on low speed until everything is moist. It will take about 4-5 minutes.Scrap the bowl as needed with a rubber spatula.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and process until the dough clings to the dough hook, ( about 4 minutes more).
- Add the salt and mix another 3 minutes until dough is elastic and soft.
- Divide dough into 6-7 pieces and form balls. Dust with some flour, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Take the dough from the fridge and leave at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Now it's time to make a pizza! Flatten the ball on dry and dusted surface. Take the disk and start stretching in the air. ( The gravity will pull down the dough in the air).
- Once it is stretched to 20 cm ( 8 inch) in diameter, place it on the dusted surface , pat and stretch to about 30 cm ( 12 inch). You should get 0.6 cm or ¼ inch thick disk. Top as you wish and bake.
Thaw before rolling up.
My pizza looks a little bit thick, coz I stuffed the edges with cheese. Absolutely delicious!
PERFECT THIN CRUST PIZZA DOUGH