Za'atar chicken with roasted cauliflower, shallots, and lemon is a healthy and delicious one-pan meal. Tender chicken is seasoned with aromatic Middle Eastern Za'atar spice blend and roasted alongside vegetables for a hassle-free and easy cleanup.
- 3 1/2 pounds Chicken thighs and legs, bone in skin on
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil
- Salt, as needed
- 3 tablespoons Za'atar spice blend
- 1 Head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 3 medium shallots, quartered
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 1/2 cup Olive oil
- 4 tablespoons Za'atar
- 1 teaspoon kosher Salt
- 3-4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Use a paper towel to pat the chicken down until it's dry.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, salt, and the za'atar spice blend.
- On a large baking sheet, toss the cauliflower, lemon and shallots with half of the za'atar mixture.
- Coat the chicken with the remaining za'atar mixture and arrange it between the cauliflower on the baking sheet. You may need to use 2 baking sheets if you don't have a large one.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. To achieve a slight char and desired caramelization, broil them for about 2-3 minutes.
- As the chicken is baking, prepare the za'atar oil by mixing all the ingredients together. Once the chicken is fully cooked and the internal temperature reaches 165°F on a meat thermometer, drizzle the chicken with the za'atar oil. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Serve and enjoy!
Za'atar is a Middle Eastern spice blend that typically includes sesame seeds, thyme, sumac, and other herbs. You can find it at Middle Eastern markets or online.
To ensure that the chicken cooks evenly, it's best to use chicken thighs and legs with the bone-in and skin-on.
Don't overcrowd the sheet pan when baking the chicken and vegetables. Make sure they are spread out in a single layer to allow for even cooking and caramelization. If needed, use two sheet pans.
If you want to make the dish spicier, you can add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the za'atar spice blend.
Feel free to customize the vegetables in the recipe to your liking. Other great options include sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, or carrots.
Remember to allow the chicken to rest for a few minutes before slicing or serving to allow the juices to redistribute and ensure that the meat is tender and juicy.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Category: Chicken recipes
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Calories: 410 kcal
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 550 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 47 g
- Cholesterol: 190 mg
Keywords: za'atar chicken, za atar chicken, za atar roast chicken