Experience the amazing taste of Syrniki, fluffy Russian cheese pancakes. Easy to make and versatile, enjoy them with your favorite toppings. Perfect for breakfast or dessert!
For Cottage Cheese Pancakes
- 1 lb. cottage cheese ( tvorog)
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons semolina
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, for coating the syrniki
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying
- Fresh berries
- Powdered sugar
- Sour cream
- Honey or maple syrup
- Combine the DRY cottage cheese*, egg, sugar, semolina and vanilla extract in a large bowl, and mix until well combined. The batter will be thick like dough, not similar to the regular pancake batter. Allow the dough rest for 15-30 minutes. This gives the semolina time to soak up some of the moisture from the other ingredients, resulting in a firmer and less sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured work surface and roll it into a log. Divide it into 10 pieces. Shape each piece into a small patty using your hands. Dredge the pancake in flour, shaking off any excess. Position a glass or cookie cutter over the pancake, then give it a gentle swirl, and voilà! You'll have a perfectly round cottage cheese pancake ready to be cooked. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- In a large non-stick pan, heat vegetable oil. Once it is hot, add the pancakes. Cook about 6 minutes (3 minutes per side) on medium low heat. Transfer to a paper towel and allow to cool. You might need to cook pancakes in 2-3 batches, depending on the size of your pan.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with your favorite toppings.
*For perfect syrniki, use cottage cheese that is dry and slightly crumbly, similar to a brick. If it is not dry enough, you can follow these steps:
- Strain the Cottage Cheese: Place it in a fine-mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth or a clean kitchen towel. Allow it to drain over a bowl for about 30 minutes to remove excess moisture.
- Squeeze out Excess Moisture: After draining, gently squeeze the cottage cheese in the cheesecloth or towel to remove any remaining moisture.
Store syrniki in the fridge for up to 4 days. Simply reheat them in the microwave right before serving to keep them yummy and delicious!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Pancakes recipes
- Cuisine: Russian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 100.8
- Sugar: 25 g
- Sodium: 257.3 mg
- Fat: 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.5 g
- Cholesterol: 95.8 mg
Keywords: syrniki, cottage cheese pancakes, pancakes