This sweet and sour prawns come together really quickly and are full of deliciously tangy prawns, crispy vegetables and sweet and sour sauce. This is better than your local takeout and healthier too!
- 3/4 cup store bought sweet and sour sauce
- 1 pound ( 500 grams) large prawns or shrimp ( deveined, thawed if frozen)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil for frying, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 medium white onion ( cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 1 red bell pepper ( cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 1 green bell pepper ( cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 1 cup pineapple chunks ( about one 8 ounce can)
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Season prawns/ shrimp with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow dish mix together the flour and cornstarch.
- In a separate shallow dish add eggs and whisk.
- Dredge each prawn in the flour mixture, then dip in the whisked egg, then again coat in the flour mixture.
- In a wok or pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Once it reaches 350°F (177°C), add the battered shrimp and fry until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Work in batches not to overcrowd the pan. Transfer to a plate. Fry the next batch.
- Discard the oil from wok and carefully wipe the inside of the pan with paper towels.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil and heat the wok over medium-high heat.
- Once it is hot, add the garlic and onions, stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the peppers and cook further for 1 minute.
- Add in the pineapple and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add the prawn and the sweet and sour sauce, stir to coat and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
- Serve over steamed rice.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Shrimp recipes
- Cuisine: Asian
- Calories: 429kcal
- Sugar: 18g
- Sodium: 844g
- Fat: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 55g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 18g
- Cholesterol: 217g
Keywords: sweet and sour prawns, sweet and sour shrimp, stir fry recipes, tempura battered shrimp, easy shrimp dinners