The Palestinian Freekeh soup is a real heath boost meal! It has a beautiful nutty flavor & incredibly easy to make. You will fall in love with this soup.
When it comes to food, I am a trendsetter. We all gripped on keeping off the weight and adopting a healthy lifestyle, and we thus need to get creative in the kitchen. As much as I want to eat clean and go all natural, I just cannot stand the taste of plain boring food.
I discovered Freekeh soup, and you should definitely try this one for its savory sweet taste. Its main ingredient is Freekeh, an ancient grain from the Middle-East. Freekeh is a young green wheat that has been roasted and cracked giving it a distinct flavor that is nutty and smoky. So yes, it is not gluten free, but hold on, it’s a healthy whole grain. This ancient grain is in the same group as Teff and Quinoa, but its nutritional benefits smack down a lot of other grains.
Freekeh soup is thus among my best delicacies. Why?
- It’s high in fiber,
- low in fat
- It contains up to six grams of protein.
Fiber, fiber fiber! It gets you feeling full for longer thus a smart point for you, who want to lose off the weight. If you are diabetic or simply trying to keep your blood sugar steady, this super grain is here to liberate you from your despairs. It has a low glycemic index (GI= 43), making it a great choice for you.
This Freekeh soup is a super-food that you should definitely incorporate into your healthy, well balanced diet. It is full of essential nutrients such as selenium, potassium and magnesium. As a vegetarian, this recipe is a great source of protein.
Ladies, this super grain contains plenty of zinc and it is high in iron. OH, and it also acts like a prebiotic, let’s grow good bacteria’s in our digestive system. Get your Freekeh soup on. Visit your local whole food store and find Freekeh packaged along with other grains. You will not find it packed in bulk, and sometimes you will locate it along other Middle Eastern foods. If you still cannot locate them, get online, from some shops that sell Freekeh online. Freekeh importers also do have websites where you can locate their stores.
FREEKEH SOUP RECIPEPrint
FREEKAH SOUP ( PALESTINIAN SOUP)
- For Chicken broth
- Chicken fillet- 600 gm
- Onions - 2
- Celery sticks- 2
- Cardamon pods- 6-7
- Bay leaf-1
- Water- 5 cups / 2 ½ pints
- Salt- to taste
- Onion ( finely chopped)- 1
- Olive oil-100 ml
- Freekeh ( broken preferred)- 10 oz/ 1 ¼ cup
- For Serving
- Greek yogurt- as needed
- Ground nutmeg- 1 tsp
- Ground cinnamon- 1 tsp
- Black pepper- 1 tsp
- Fresh parsley ( finely chopped)- 2 tbsp
- Pita bread chips- as needed
- Put the chicken fillets, celery sticks, onions, cardamon pods & a bay leaf in a large saucepan. Pour 1.5 liter water, cover & bring to boil. Cook until chicken is done ( about 35-40 minutes).
- Remove the chicken from the saucepan and put on a large plate to cool. Using a slotted spoon take out the onions, celery sticks and all the spices. When the chicken fillets are cool, shred the meat.
- Pulse the coarse freekeh in a food processor until partly smooth. Don't over-blend or you will get a stodgy paste. Heat the olive oil in a pan, add the chopped onion & saute until golden. Stir in the freekeh.
- Transfer the freekeh-onion mixture to the saucepan with the reserved broth, cover and cook 30- 40 minutes or until freekeh is well cooked. Stir in the shredded chicken and cook another 10 minutes. ( If the soup is too thick because freekeh absorbs liquid well, add more water or chicken stock. Adjust salt and spices.
- Pour the soup into bowls, sprinkle with nutmeg, cinnamon and black pepper.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, Greek yogurt and pita chips.
- Category: Soups
- Cuisine: Palestinian
Try this amazing Palestinian Freekeh soup & share your experience!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Leave a Reply