Learn how to make the best juicy chicken parmesan meatloaf with this chicken meatloaf recipe! Smothered in a flavorful tomato sauce and melted mozzarella cheese!
For the meatloaf:
- Ground chicken (breasts or thighs)-2 lbs (1 kg)
- Unsalted butter- 2 tablespoons
- Medium onion (diced)-1
- Garlic cloves (minced) -1 tablespoon
- Bread crumbs- 3/4 cup
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese- 1 cup
- Basil pesto- 1/4 cup
- Tomato passata (marinara)-1/2 cup
- Paprika- 1 teaspoon
- Italian seasoning- 1 teaspoon
- Salt and black pepper- as needed
- Mozzarella cheese ( shredded)- 1 cup
For the sauce:
- Tomato passata (marinara)-3/4 cup
- Garlic powder- 1 teaspoon
For the Topping:
- Mozzarella cheese (sliced)- 10 ounces ( 300 g)
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese- 1/3 cup
- Basil leaves- as needed
- Preheat your oven to 350 F (180 C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Keep aside.
- In a medium pan melt butter over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Then, add the garlic and cook further for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Combine the ground chicken with cooked onion, garlic, parmesan, bread crumbs, basil pesto, tomato passata, eggs, paprika, Italian seasoning, black pepper and salt. Mix JUST until combined.
- Place the meat mixture on tray and stretch it out to get a rectangle, about 0.5 inch (1 cm) thick. The process is similar to stretching the pizza dough.
- Put the mozzarella cheese in the center of the meat rectangle.
- Start to roll the meat tightly on the short end to make a log. Be sure to seal the edges to prevent the cheese from leaking.
- Bake the meatloaf for 40 minutes in the preheated oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and pour the sauce over it, spreading with a spoon to cover. Top with mozzarella slices and grated parmesan cheese. Return back to the oven and bake further for 10-15 minutes or until the meatloaf is cooked through and the cheese is melted.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Garnish with basil leaves. Enjoy!
- Combine together tomato passata and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 1 hour 5 min
- Category: Beef recipes
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: chicken parmesan, meatloaf, ground chicken recipes