This classic Pecan Pie Recipe is so easy to make , it is amped up with the addition of browned butter, tons of pecans and corn syrup.
Classic Pecan Pie tastes and smells of certain foods just call out Fall. As soon as you smell them cooking or baking, you just know you’ll step outside to find a nip in the air and the trees turning red and gold right before your eyes. One of the most evocative of these Fall foods has to be the old fashioned pecan pie.Pecan pie is also a beloved dish of the American South. This means you don’t have to confine it to Fall or the holidays. If you’re frying up catfish, mixing up some biscuits and gravy, or boiling your grits, pecan pie can be the perfect dessert to go with these Southern dishes.
Few Americans would feel their Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners were complete without a pecan pie for dessert. But for a treat steeped in so much tradition, there are several variations available. The choice between white or brown sugar can subtly shift the flavor, as can the choice of including sugar syrup over maple, molasses, or even honey. Existing culinary syrups are also an option. In the 1930s, the Karo syrup manufacturers even tried to convince the world that pecan pie was a new invention created only with their product!
In addition to these foundational choices, there are quite a few flavorful changes that are more overt as well. While the typical pecan pie recipe relies on vanilla for its flavoring, you can also choose to use chocolate or even Bourbon whiskey. Or you can choose to mix a little of each! Flavors such as peanut butter, Irish crème, caramel, and even cinnamon aren’t unheard of. The “traditional” pecan pie has a lot of room to suit your tastes!
For contrast, there shouldn’t be a lot of variation in the crusts of all these pies. Like most pies, the crust can’t be changed much without either leaving it too hard or too flaky. While you may be tempted to start toying with parts of the recipe after you’re first successful pie, the crust instructions should be followed exactly and to the letter.
Pecan pie can also be served with a little flourish. Whipped cream, either store bought or homemade, is a popular topping. Whipped cream can be flavored while you make it and a host of flavor options are on store shelves, giving you even more options when creating just the right mélange with your pie. Vanilla ice cream is also a traditional favorite to sit next to pecan pie on the plate. Imagine a cinnamon vanilla ice cream adding a little spice to your dessert without you changing the pie recipe at all.
With all these taste variations and Southern meals, you may not need the excuse of the changing seasons or celebrating the holidays to have a slice of pecan pie. Whatever you’re preference, enjoy this recipe for a basic traditional treat. Let me know in the comments if you have any issues or questions. Especially let me know if you have successes! And remember, after you’ve mastered this recipe and begin trying new flavor variants, come back and tell me about them! Enjoy!
Best Ever Pecan Pie Recipe
- All -purpose flour- 1¼ cups
- Butter( Unsalted)- ½ cup ( butter should be chilled and cut into small pieces)
- Ice water- 70 ml
- Sugar- 2 tbsp
- Salt-1/2 tsp
- Pecan nuts-300 gm
- Eggs- 3 large
- Butter( unsalted)-60 gm
- Corn Syrup- 155 ml
- Brown sugar- 1 cup
- Heavy cream- 60 ml
- Salt ¼ tsp
- Nutmeg- ½ tsp
- Combine flour, sugar and salt. Add ½ unsalted butter( cut into 2 cm pieces). Transfer this in your stand mixer or food processor and process for about 20 seconds.
- Pour half of water ( 35 ml) through the tube in a slow stream. Dough should hold together when nipped. It should not take more than 20 seconds.
- Place the dough on the work surface and make a ball. Cover and put in the refrigerator for 30 min.
- Place the chilled dough on work dry surface and roll a circle ( 33 cm).
- Fold the dough in half and transfer to 23 cm pie dish. Refrigerate white we are preparing our filling.
- Place corn syrup, butter, brown sugar in a large saucepan. Let it boil stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and let it cool for a while.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs.
- Add whisked eggs, cream, salt to lukewarm syrup.
- Take еру crust from the fridge, place chopped pecan pies on the bottom of the crust. Pour filling. Bake 50 min.
- Remove from the oven and place on wire rack to cool. Serve with whipping cream.