This Leftover Turkey and Rice Soup transforms your holiday leftovers into a deliciously hearty meal, combining tender turkey with rice and vegetables in a savory broth. Perfect for a cozy day!
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon EACH: dried parsley, oregano, thyme, sage
- 1/8 teaspoon red chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Salt as needed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced ( approximately 1 cup)
- ½ cup diced carrots
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cups white long grain rice, uncooked
- 3 cups cooked turkey, diced
- Fresh chopped parsley, for serving
- In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil and butter. Once the butter has melted, add the onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until they become soft, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the seasonings, soy sauce, and chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium-low. Add the rice to the pot and stir to combine.
- Let the mixture simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the rice is nearly cooked but still slightly firm.
- Add the cubed turkey, cover the pot with a lid, leaving the lid cracked open about 1 inch, and simmer over medium-low for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked and tender.
- Garnish with parsley.
To Store, let the leftover soup cool down to room temperature. Then, store it in airtight containers in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
To reheat, gently warm the soup on the stove over low heat until it's just heated through. If you prefer, you can also heat individual servings in the microwave for about 1 minute.
For longer storage, freeze the soup in airtight containers for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before reheating and serving.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: Soup recipes
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 120 kcal
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 801 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 17 mg
Keywords: turkey and rice soup, turkey soup, leftover turkey recipes,