- Split Mung (Daal Mung)- 3/4 cup
- Split Red lentil- 1/4 cup
- Green Lentil ( whole)- 1/4 cup
- Onion( slices)- 1 large
- Garlic ( chopped) -1 tbsp
- Bay leaf- 2-3
- Turmeric- 1/4 tsp
- Citric acid- 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Ground coriander- 1 tsp
- Green Cardamon– 3-4
- Brown Cardamon- 1
- Black pepper- To Taste
- Red chili -To Taste
- Tomatoes( chopped) or tomato salsa– 2-3 medium or 4-5 tbsp of salsa
- Fresh coriander leaves( finely chopped) – 2-3 tbsp
- Vegetable Oil ( Canola)- 3-4 tbsp
- In a pressure cooker heat oil and fry sliced onions for 5-6 minutes. Add the spices, seasonings and garlic.
- Add lentils,mung peas, tomatoes and 6-7 cups of water. Cover the pressure cooker and cook until peas ( daal ) are tender and smooth ( 20 minutes, 4 whistles).
- Serve like soup or with rice. Eat with Italian Croutons or naan.
If you can find in your local supermarket ‘DAAL MASALA MIX”( Pakistani spice mix for lentil soups and curries) use it instead of the above mentioned spices and seasonings.
I advice to cook this soup in pressure cooker. It will save your time a lot. Slow cooker is another option.
- Category: SOUP RECIPES
- Cuisine: Indian