- Sushi rice-1 1/2 cup (320 g)
- Water- 1 1/2 cup (430 ml)
- Sushi vinegar- 3 tablespoons ( or mix 2 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon salt)
- Smoked salmon steak or raw salmon (sliced)- about 1 lb (450 g), for topping
- Wasabi– 1 teaspoon
- Pickled ginger- as needed
- Soy sauce for sushi, as needed
Other Nigiri Toppings
- Shrimp ebi
- Yellowtail Hamachi
- Wash and rinse the sushi rice until the water runs clear. Leave in a strainer until drained. Cook the rice according to the package instructions. Once it is cooked, remove from the heat and allow to cool down for 10 minutes.
- When it is still warm, add in the sushi vinegar and mix well to combine.
- Prepare the slices of smoked salmon or any other toppings you wish to use in nigiri. Using a sharp knife, cut salmon into 3-inch long and 1 inch wide, and 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Dip your hands in water to prevent rice from sticking. Take about 3 tablespoons of cooked rice in your hand, squeeze and shape it into an oval. Flatten the bottom.
Spread a small amount of wasabi on each sushi and top with a salmon slice.
- Serve with soy sauce and pickled ginger. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: Sushi recipes
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: nigiri, sushi, homemade nigiri