This Lebanese Garlic Sauce (Toum) is creamy and light. Made with garlic, oil, lemon juice and salt. It goes especially well with grilled meat.
- 1 cup ( about 4 garlic heads) garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups neutral oil , Canola or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Cut the garlic cloves in half lengthwise. Remove any green sprouts.
- Add the garlic and salt to your food processor and pulse for a minute or until finely minced. Stop and scrape down the sides of the food processor .
- Add 1-2 tablespoons oil and pulse again. Stop and scrape down the bowl, then add another 2 tablespoons oil and process. Continue this way until the garlic looks creamy.
- Once the garlic is creamy and emulsified, increase and speed of pouring and alternate oil with lemon juice. Don't rush the process. Use the top opening of the processor to GRADUALLY add oil and lemon juice. It takes about 15-20 minutes to use up the oil and lemon juice entirely. The garlic sauce will thicken and increase in volume. The texture should be smooth and fluffy. Makes about 4 cups.
- Transfer the sauce to a container and cover with paper towel. Refrigerate overnight.
- The next day remove the paper towel and keep the sauce in an airtight container for up to 4 months.
Pro Tip:Don't rush the emulsification process. Add oil and lemon juice very SLOWLY as your food processor is running.
Start adding lemon juice once the garlic is emulsified because the oil will become too heavy to support the lemon juice and you will fail.
Store the sauce in an airtight container for 3-4 months in the refrigerator. Over the time, the garlic flavor will become less strong, yet the sauce stays fresh.
Best Oil: We recommend to use Canola, grapeseed or any neutral oil. You can use olive oil, but the sauce will be more dense and not as white.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Sauce recipes
- Cuisine: Lebenese
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 191kcal
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 144mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: garlic sauce, toum, how to make garlic sauce