Quick, easy, and delicious! This Beef and Onion Stir Fry will be your new go-to dinner. Savory beef, crisp onions, and a hint of garlic make for a perfect combo.
- 1 pound beef flank, sirloin, ribeye, or tenderloin steak, thinly sliced against the grain, about 1/4-inch
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry)
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce (low sodium)
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- White pepper powder, as needed
- 1/2 tablespoon corn starch
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon, minced ginger
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 4 stalks scallion, 3 inch slices
- Place the beef slices in a large bowl, add cornstarch, soy sauce and wine. Stir everything together and let it marinate for 15-30 minutes.
- As the beef marinates, mix the sauce ingredients together. Once well combined, set it aside and start prepping the vegetables.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic, ginger, onions and the white part of scallions, and stir-fry until they're slightly soft. After cooking, remove the veggies, retaining the oil in the skillet/wok, and set them aside.
- In the same skillet, fry the marinated beef until slightly crispy, which should take about 2 minutes. Be cautious as the beef cooks quickly . Ensure the heat isn’t too high to prevent oil splatters.
- Pour in the sauce. Cook until the beef is done, about 2 minutes and the sauce gets thicker.
- Return the veggies and add the scallions. Continue cooking for another minute, stirring continuously.
- Garnish with extra scallions and enjoy right away with rice or steamed veggies.
- Cooling: Allow to cool down to room temperature. This prevents excess moisture and condensation, which can affect the texture and flavor.
- Airtight Container: Transfer the cooled stir fry into an airtight container. This will keep the dish fresh and prevent it from absorbing other odors from the refrigerator.
- Refrigeration: Store in the refrigerator if you plan to eat it within the next 3-4 days.
- From the Refrigerator: Reheat the stir fry in a skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through. You can also use a microwave by placing the stir fry in a microwave-safe dish and heating in short intervals, stirring in between until hot.
- From the Freezer: It's best to thaw the stir fry in the refrigerator overnight before reheating. Once thawed, follow the same reheating instructions as above.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Beef recipes
- Cuisine: Asian
- Calories: 259 kcal
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 712 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 27 g
- Cholesterol: 65 mg
Keywords: beef and onion stir fry, stir fry, Asian recipes, steak recipes