- FOR PIE CRUST
- All-purpose flour- 200 gm / 1 1/3 cup
- Unsalted butter ( cold and diced)- 120 gm / 1/2 cup
- Sugar- 100 gm / 1/2 cup
- Egg yolks- 2
- Cold water- 4 tbsp.
- Salt -1/ 2 tsp.
- FOR ALMOND CRUMBLE TOPPING
- All-purpose flour- 3/4 cup
- Brown sugar-1/4 cup
- Butter ( cold and diced)- 1/3 cup
- Almonds ( chopped)- 3/4 cup
- FOR APPLE FILLING
- Apples ( cored and thinly sliced (3 mm))- 3 large
- Lemon juice ( freshly squeezed) -2 tbsp.
- Ground cinnamon - 1/2 tsp.
- Brown sugar- 1 tbsp.
- Homemade crust. In a large bowl mix all-purpose flour and salt. Add the butter and sugar. Using a fork, cut the butter until it resembles coarse meal . Gradually add egg yolks and water ( stop adding water when the dough doesn't form large clumps and it holds together when you pinch it). Form a ball, cover with plastic and refrigerate for 45-50 minutes or until the dough is firm.
- Almond Crumble Topping: In a large bowl mix the flour , brown sugar and the chopped almonds. Add the butter and using your fingers or a fork , cut the butter until it is crumbly. Refrigerate until you make the apple filling.
- Apple Filling. In a small bowl combine the lemon juice, ground cinnamon and brown sugar. Pour the mixture over the sliced apples and mix to coat.
- Assembling. Preheat your oven to 180 C (355 F) with rack at the lowest level.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the chilled dough into 30 cm (12 inch) disc.
- Using a rolling pin, transfer to a 23 cm ( 9 inch) pie/ tart pan. You may crimp the edges.
- Place the apple slices into the pie crust and top with the almond crumble topping.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until the topping is nicely browned. After the first 20 minutes of baking, I usually place a pie crust shield on top to prevent the edges from being brutally exposed to the heat of the oven. You can use pieces of foil, but they usually fell off making a mess.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool 2-3 hours before serving. Leftovers can be refrigerated up to 7 days.
A rolling pin, a 23 cm ( 9 inch) pie dish.
- Category: Tarts
- Cuisine: International