This Vegan Potato Leek soup is an easy, healthy, gluten free version of famous French Potage Parmentier. You won’t even miss the meat in this vegetarian soup. Very tasty!
You are not going to find really a more satisfying soup or more versatile than that of the Potage Parmentier soup – a vegan potato leek soup. On the day you make it, it’s delicious, but on the second day it’s even more delicious. People love it as a start to their dinner, either hot or cold. For lunch it’s scrumptious with some left-over meat. If you want a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack to serve as a pick-me-up, enjoy vegan potato leek soup either hot or cold, into the microwave or out the fridge.
Some people choose a basic vegan potato leek soup, whilst others will include other veggies and herbs; things like stalks of asparagus or broccoli stems, generous amounts of cress or parsley; almost any available vegetables do the trick. Actually the French are the masters at utilizing their less than perfect vegetables bought cheaply from the market. If you battle however to find leeks with their lovely subtle flavors, onions can offer a good standby, or even some spring onions.
But this old French leek and potato soup is so mouth-wateringly good, it is hard to believe it is really nothing but vegetables salt and water, all simmered together.
For those who suffer from pain and discomfort from digestive problems and ulcers, vegan potato leek soup is comforting and uplifting and so easy to make. It just takes around four cups of potatoes chopped, around three cups of leeks chopped, some water to boil with salt to taste, simmered for around 45 minutes in a pot and finally blended. Adding in some healthful creamy butter or cream and voila Potage Pomantier!
Vegan potatoe leek soup – Bon appetite! Pour toutes les occasions
- Potatoes (peeled & diced) - 3 cups
- Leek (thinly sliced, including the tender green part)- 3 cups
- Celery root ( finely chopped)- 2 tbsp.
- Olive oil-4 tbsp.
- Vegetable stock/ water- 6 cups
- Ground black pepper- 1 tsp.
- Salt- to taste
- Potatoes ( for shoestring potatoes)- 1-2
- Olive oil( for frying potatoes sticks)- ¼ cup
- Spring onion rings- 2 tbsp
- Red chili ( sliced)- 1
- Croutons- as needed
- Ground 5 pepper mix- as needed
- Heat 4 tbsp.olive oil in a 25 cm casserole/ pan, add the sliced leek & saute 3-4 minutes, then add in the chopped celery root, vegetable stock, potatoes & salt. Cook for 30-35 minutes or until the potatoes are tender, partially covered.
- Mash the vegetables using a food mill & transfer the soup back to the casserole. Season with ground black pepper & adjust salt.
- CRISPY CRUNCHY SHOESTRING POTATOES. Wash and peel 1-2 potatoes. Using a slicer with the julienne blade, slice the potatoes.Put the potato sticks in a large bowl of ice water to remove excess starches. In a small pan heat oil & deep-fry the potatoes until golden brown. Transfer them to a paper-lined plate.
- FINISH.Pour the soup into soup bowls/ cups & top with crispy shoestring potatoes, croutons & sprinkle spring onion rings with red chili.
All rights reserved. CHEF JAR. All images & content are copyright protected. PLEASE do not use my images without my permission. If you wanna to share this recipe, PLEASE provide a link back to this post.
If you make this recipe, take a photo of your creation & hashtag it # CHEFJAR on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!
VEGAN POTATO LEEK SOUP
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE