This Authentic Tzatziki Sauce (Greek Cucumber Yogurt Sauce) is always a hit! Learn everything you need to know about how to make Tzatziki Sauce from scratch. Use it as a dip or as a spread on sandwiches or gyros.
- Cucumber( peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and shredded)- 1
- Greek yogurt- 1 cup
- Extra virgin olive oil- 2 tbsp.
- Fresh mint/ dill ( finely chopped)-2 tbsp.
- Garlic clove( minced)-1
- Salt and black pepper- to taste
- Sumac- 1/4 tsp or as needed to garnish
- Toss the cucumber with 1/2 tsp salt* in colander and let drain for 20 min. You can use the cheesecloth to squeeze the cucumber as well.
- In a medium bowl whisk yogurt, olive oil fresh mint/dill and garlic; stir in the drained cucumber.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1- 2 hours. Season with salt and pepper before serving.
Makes about 2 cups
* Shredding and salting the cucumber eliminates excess moisture and results in a thick Tzatziki.
You can store the Tzatziki sauce up to 2 days.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Dips
- Cuisine: Mediterranean