Authentic Turkish Red lentil soup from scratch!
- Turkish roasted pepper flakes*( Aci isot biber)- 1/2 tsp.
- Onion ( finely chopped)-1
- Garlic cloves ( minced)-2
- Vegetable oil- 3 tbsp.
- Split red lentil ( washed & drained)- 1 cup / 300 gm
- Brown bulgur wheat ( washed & drained)- 3 tbsp.
- Basmati rice ( washed & drained)- 3 tbsp.
- Vegetable / Chicken stock -8 cups
- Tomato passata- 5 tbsp.
- Paprika powder- 1 tsp.
- Dried oregano- 1/2 tsp.
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt- to taste
- Black pepper-to taste
- PAPRIKA OIL
- Paprika- 2 tsp.
- Olive oil- 4 tbsp.
- Turkish roasted pepper flakes- 1/4 tsp, optional
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS
- Lemon wedges
- In a 25 cm cast iron casserole* heat vegetable oil, add onion seasoned with a pinch of salt and sauté 3-4 minutes. Add the minced garlic, Turkish roasted pepper flakes and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato passata, paprika , dried oregano and sauté for 20-30 seconds. Immediately add the lentil,bulgur,rice, lemon juice & stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cover the casserole halfway and then allow to simmer on a low heat about 30 -40 minutes or until the grains are tender.
- Paprika oil. In a small pan heat vegetable oil, add paprika & roasted pepper flakes. Remove from the heat when paprika is about to bubble, set aside.
- Using a blender or a hand blender, blend the soup to reach the desired consistency. Adjust salt and pepper.
- Drizzle soup with paprika oil.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges and more paprika oil.
*If you don't have a casserole, use any large saucepan.
A 25 cm cast iron casserole, a blender.
** Aci Isot Biber
Turkish dark purple color pepper flakes ( from Urfa, Turkey) bring a rich, earthy flavor and smoky aroma to this soup. It is perfect for any salad, pilaf, meat and pasta. Substitute for Isot Biber- Red chili flakes.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: Soup recipes
- Cuisine: Turkish
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 179 kcal
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 495 mg
- Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 29 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 9 g
Keywords: red lentil soup, soup recipes