- For 3,5 litres of puree
- Plum Tomatoes(pomodori perini)- 5 kg
- Olive oil- 5 tbsp
- Salt - 5 1/2 tsp ( for every kilos of tomatoes, ½ teaspoon of salt )
- Sugar- 1/2 tsp
- Fresh Basil leaves-6 handfuls
- Dry Oregano leaves-1/2 tsp
- Wash tomatoes, cut them in quarters & transfer into a large saucepan.
- Add salt and sugar and leave to simmer ( uncovered) 5-10 minutes. ( See Note1)
- Put them aside & allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Place food mill over a large bowl. Put the cooled tomatoes into food mill. Start rotating the handle of food mill until only seeds and skins are left. What you have in the bowl- Tomato Passata.
- Add olive oil, basil leaves & dry oregano. Mix well.
- Transfer Passata into any container or jar.
- You can store this homemade Passata 6-7 days.
1. The most tricky part in making Homemade Tomato Passata is simmering process. Because you will simmer them without any oil or cooking spray I recommend to do it over medium heat and to add a pinch of salt. It will help to draw out their own liquid.
A Food mill, a large bowl & a pan
3. The best tomatoes for Passata: Pomodori Perini
The tomatoes must be of excellent quality & ripe.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: SAUCES & DIPS
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 100 g
- Calories: 38
- Sugar: 4.8 g
- Sodium: 28 mg
- Fat: 0.2
- Saturated Fat: 0 mg
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 mg
- Trans Fat: 0
- Fiber: 1.9 g
- Protein: 1.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0