Southern meatloaf recipe is simple and made with ground beef, bell peppers, cheddar cheese, creole seasoning and the best meatloaf glaze with brown sugar!
For the Meatloaf:
- Ground beef (80 % lean)- 2 lbs (1 kg)
- Butter/ghee- 2 tablespoons
- Onion ( finely chopped)-1
- Garlic cloves (minced)-1 tablespoon
- Bell pepper (finely diced)- 3/4 cup
- Bread crumbs- 3/4 cup
- Cheddar cheese ( grated)-1 cup
- Eggs (lightly beaten)- 2
- Tomato passata- 1/2 cup
- Worcestershire sauce-2 tablespoons
- Creole seasoning- 1-2 tablespoons, depends on your taste
- Parsley ( finely chopped)-2 tablespoons
- Salt - to taste
For the Glaze:
- Ketchup-1/2 cup
- Brown sugar-2 tablespoons
- Yellow mustard-1 tablespoon
- Preheat your oven to 350 F (175 C). Line a roasting tray (with rack) with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a skillet or pan. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic. Saute about 4-5 minutes or until tender. They will be more tender and will give more moisture to the meatloaf. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- In large bowl combine bread crumbs, cheddar cheese, eggs, tomato passata and sauteed veggies.
- Add the ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, creole seasoning, parsley and salt. Mix just until combined. Don't over work otherwise it will be dense!
- Transfer the meat mixture into a loaf pan and form a 7 x 9-inch loaf, then turn it out onto the prepared roasting tray with rack. Bake for 50 minutes.
- In a medium bowl combine ketchup, brown sugar and yellow mustard.
- Remove meatloaf from the oven and spread the glaze over it. Bake further for 20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160 F (71 C). Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 min
- Category: Beef recipes
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 334 kcal
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 426 mg
- Fat: 21 g
- Saturated Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 18 g
- Cholesterol: 103 mg
Keywords: meatloaf recipe, southern meatloaf