These Chinese Scallion pancakes, “Cong You Bing” are flaky, chewy and delicious flatbreads that are made of flour, scallions, and salt. This fail-proof recipe calls only for 5 ingredients!
- All-purpose flour- 3 1/4 cup or 400 gm
- Water (room temperature)-280 ml
- Oil for cooking
- FOR THE FILLING
- Scallions ( chopped)- 1 cup
- Himalayan salt -2 tsp.
- Olive oil- 2 tbsp.
- In a large bowl mix flour and water together until forms a smooth dough.
- Transfer the dough to a clean surface to knead. The dough will be sticky. Knead for about 8-10 minutes, doubling it over and pressing it down. The dough is ready when it is not sticky.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions, cover with plastic and allow to rest for 30 min.
- On a dusted surface, roll out the dough into a thin layer.
- Lightly brush the top of the dough with oil, then spread chopped scallions evenly (gently press them onto the dough) and sprinkle Himalayan salt.
- Starting from the long end, roll the dough up like a long burrito.
- Coil the dough and allow to rest for 20 minutes, covered.
- Before cooking, press the dough lightly to flatten and get a round pancake.
- Preheat a nonstick pan,add 1 tbsp. oil, then place the scallion pancake and cook over low heat until brown, flip, cover with the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes on low heat.
- Remove the lid, add 1 tbsp. vegetable oil around the sides of the pancake and fry until golden brown, flipping halfway.
- Using a pizza cutter or kitchen scissors, cut the pancake into wedges. Serve immediately with any dipping sauce of your choice.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Vegan
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Serving Size: 100 gm
- Calories: 32 kcal
- Fat: 0.19 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.34 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 1.83 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g
Keywords: scallion pancakes, onion pancakes, Chinese pancakes, pancakes