Sausage rolls stuffed with Jack cheese and wrapped in light and soft homemade bread can rival any famous bakery! They are kid-friendly and perfect for potluck parties. Best of all this sausage rolls recipe calls for 5 main ingredients only. Make this truly delicious rolls at home today!
- FOR THE DOUGH
- Milk ( warm)-1 cup
- Flour-3 ¼ cup
- Butter (melted)-1/4 cup.
- Sugar- 1 tbsp.
- Salt-1 1/2 tsp.
- Yeast- 1 1/2 tbsp.
- FOR EGG WASH
- Egg yolks (whisked) -2
- Sausages- 20 ( 15 cm /6 inch in length)
- Jack cheese ( grated)-150 gm*
- Black sesame - as needed, optional
- In a small bowl dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm milk.
- In a large bowl combine the remaining ingredients ( butter, eggs, flour and salt), then add the yeast mixture and mix until you get soft dough. Transfer the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until it is smooth and elastic. Put it back into a lightly buttered bowl, cover with cling wrap and allow to rise for 1 hour in a warm place or till the dough is doubled in size.
- In the meantime, cut each sausage down the middle to make a slit. Stuff the sausages with the grated Jack cheese and keep aside.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface, deflate it and divide into 20 equal pieces.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each piece into a long cylinder, about 35 cm in length or long enough to wrap a sausage about 3 times.
- Wrap each stuffed sausage and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, keeping 2 inches/ 5 cm between the rolls. Allow to rise until doubled in size, about 20-30 min.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F/ 176 C with the rack in the lower medium position.
- Generously brush the sausage rolls with egg wash, sprinkle with black sesame seeds and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with ketchup or any sauce of your choice.
*Mozzarella and cheddar cheese will work perfect as well.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: Russian