These homemade red velvet pancakes are fluffy, tender and delicious. Serve them with a cream cheese frosting and fresh berries for a festive and impressive breakfast.
For The Pancakes:
- 2 cups (10 oz) all-purpose or plain flour
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups ( 470 ml) buttermilk
- 1/4 cup ( 2 oz) butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons red food coloring
For The Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Combine together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add the buttermilk, egg, butter and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth. There might be a few lumps but it's fine. The batter must be thick in consistency. If the batter is too thick and doesn't pour off the cup smoothly- add a few tablespoons of buttermilk until you reach the desired consistency. Keep the batter aside.
- Heat a nonstick pan or griddle over low-medium heat and spray with a cooking spray or wipe with a little butter. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter onto the pan and spread into a round shape with the back of measuring cup.
- Cook your pancakes for about 3-4 minutes each, or until bubbles appear on the surface, then carefully flip the pancake over. Give it another 2-3 minutes on the other side. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve with cream cheese frosting, fresh berries, chocolate chips and powdered sugar.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a small bowl beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form, using a hand mixer.
- Combine the cream cheese, whipped cream, powdered sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Top the pancakes. If the cream cheese frosting is thick for your liking, add a couple tablespoons of heavy cream ( 1 tablespoon at a time) and beat until you achieve the desired thickness.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Pancake recipes
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 284kcal
- Sugar: 16g
- Sodium: 228mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 40g
Keywords: pancake recipes, pancake, red velvet pancakes