Make this popular Panda Express String Bean Chicken Breast at home with this delicious copycat recipe! Tender chicken breast and green beans are stir-fried in a savory soy ginger garlic sauce for a healthier Chinese takeout option. Make this crowd-pleasing meal in no time!
- 1 pound chicken breast (boneless, skinless - cut against the grain into ¼ inch thick slices)
- 2 cups green beans (fresh string beans, washed and trimmed - cut into 2 inch pieces)
- 1 medium white onion, chopped into 1 inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoons Mirin ( or Shaoxing wine, or cooking wine)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or water
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 3 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1½ teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the marinade ingredients and add the thinly sliced chicken breast. Refrigerate the chicken for at least 30 minutes, or overnight, to allow it to marinate. Alternatively, you can let it sit while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients in a medium bowl and set it aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or pan over high heat. Once it is hot, add the chicken pieces in a single layer, without the marinade. To achieve a good sear, avoid overcrowding the pan and let the chicken cook undisturbed until it turns golden brown, which should take about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Flip the chicken over and repeat the process. Once done, transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the green beans and white onions to the pan and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and return the chicken to the pan.
- Pour the sauce into the pan. If you prefer less sauce, you can use about half of it (remember to stir the sauce beforehand as the cornstarch may have settled). Sauté everything together for 1-2 minutes until the sauce thickens.
Storage: Let it cool down to room temperature and then transfer it to an airtight container. You can keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. If you need to keep it for longer, you can store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Microwave method: Transfer the leftovers to a microwave-safe dish and cover with a lid or microwave-safe wrap. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through.
- Stovetop method: Place the chicken and vegetables in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Stir frequently until heated through, which should take about 5-7 minutes. Add a splash of water or chicken broth if needed to prevent the chicken from drying out.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Category: Chicken recipes
- Cuisine: Asian
- Calories: 260 kcal
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 777 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 28 g
- Cholesterol: 73 mg
Keywords: string bean chicken panda express, panda express string bean chicken, panda express chicken with green beans