This Napoleon cake is the bomb! It is such a great dessert to share.it is a symphony of puff pastry and cream. Easy to make with step by step pictures.
NAPOLEON CAKE LAYERS
- Puff Pastry blocks (thawed as per package instructions)- 1 kg or 2 lb
- All-purpose flour ( for dusting)- 1/4 cup
CREAM FOR NAPOLEON CAKE
- Condensed milk- 1 can ( 397 gm)
- Whipping cream ( 35, 5 %)- 2 1/2 cup
FOR CAKE DECORATION
- Fresh strawberries- 4-5
- Fresh Blueberries- 2 tbsp
- Vanilla powdered sugar- 1 tbsp
- Preheat your oven to 400 F or 200 C with the rack in the center of the oven.
- Make sure that pastry blocks are thoroughly thawed before rolling. I recommend to leave them overnight in a refrigerator, then allow to stand at room temperature for approx. 20 minutes.
- Divide each block into 2 pieces. You will get totally 4.
- On a clean dry parchment* paper ( lightly dusted with flour) roll out each piece of dough to a large & very thin sheet.
- Cut the rolled out sheet into 2 equal rectangles ( 30 cm x 20 cm each ). Totally you should get 8 rectangles( 30 cm x 20 cm each). Leave the cut edges on the parchment paper. We will need them to decorate the cake.
- Using a pizza cutter or fork, make holes all over the top of the sheets , otherwise it will puff up.
- Place the parchment paper with dough onto a large tray and bake 9-10 minutes or until sheets are slightly golden. Don't over-bake! I baked them in batches of 2. Allow to cool the pastry completely.
- Repeat the same with the remaining sheets of dough. Allow the baked sheets to cool on a wire rack completely.
- CREAM: Pour the 2 1/2 cup of whipping cream in a bowl. Whip the cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Add 1 can of condensed milk. Continue whipping until the cream reaches stiff peaks.
- ASSEMBLING THE CAKE: Place 1 sheet of pastry on a tray . Spread a generous amount of the cream over the first cake layer. Place the second cake layer on top. Press gently.
- Repeat with all 6 layers.
- Crumble the remaining 1 sheet & baked cut-off sections* into crumbs. Mix the crumbs with 1 tbsp of vanilla powdered sugar. Sprinkle the mixture over the top and sides of the cake.
- Transfer to a serving plate.
- Allow to rest in the fridge for 1-2 hours before serving.
* If you don't have parchment paper at hand, use aluminium foil. It is easy to re- use it for rolling out the remaining sheets of dough.
*If cut-off pieces do not crumble easily, bake them another 5-10 minutes or until they are browned.
A stand mixer with a whisk attachment or a hand mixer & a metal bowl, a pizza cutter,oven, a spatula.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Cakes
- Cuisine: Russian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 341
- Sugar: 19g
- Sodium: 176mg
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated Fat: 5.2g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
Keywords: napoleon cake, Russian napoleon cake, Russian , cakes recipes