These mashed potato balls are so crispy on the outside and soft inside, swimming in spicy ponzu sauce. They are gluten free, vegan and delicious! These scrumptious golden brown little bite-sized balls will melt in your mouth. Perfect for lunch or dinner.
- FOR THE POTATO BALLS
- Yukon/ Creme Royale, Russet potatoes ( peeled)- 1 pounds/ 500 gm
- Vegetable oil- 2 tbsp.
- Carrot ( finely diced)- 1/4 cup
- Small onion ( finely chopped) - 1
- Toasted cashew ( finely chopped)- 1/4 cup
- Salt- to taste
- Black pepper- to taste
- HOMEMADE PONZU SAUCE
- Soy sauce-3 tbsp.
- Rice vinegar- 3 tbsp.
- Honey/Maple syrup - 2 tbsp.
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Lemon zest-1 tsp.
- Orange juice-1 tbsp.
- Water-1/2 cup
- Cornstarch-1 tsp.
- Green chili (sliced)-1
- Cooking potatoes in Instant pot.Turn on the Instant pot. Put your peeled potatoes in the Instant Pot, pour enough water to cover them completely and add salt. Choose "Pressure Cooker" and set time for 10 minutes. When finished cooking, press "Cancel" button and allow natural pressure release. Drain potatoes and mash.
- Cooking on the stove. Place potatoes in a medium saucepan, add water to cover.Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer until tender. Drain and mash.
- Meanwhile heat vegetable oil in a skillet/pan, add the chopped onion and saute until translucent, then add in the carrot and cook another 2 minutes. Keep aside.
- Preheat your oven to 475 F /245 C.
- Add the toasted cashew and sauted carrot with onion to the mashed potatoes. Adjust salt and season with pepper.Mix well. Form bite-sized balls. Transfer to a iron skillet/ baking tray. Brush with some oil and bake until golden brown , about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- To make the sauce mix all the sauce ingredients (soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, lemon juice, orange juice, lemon zest, cornstarch, water and green chili).
- Pour the sauce over the baked potatoes, put the skillet in the oven and bake until sauce thickens a little bit, about 2- 3 minutes. Remove from the oven
- Serve immediately .
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Potato recipes
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: mashed potatoes balls, mashed potatoes, potatoes recipe, vegan balls