- Small head cauliflower ( washed & cut into florets)- 1
- Medium green bell pepper-( cubed) 1
- Small red onion ( finely chopped)- 1
- Garlic cloves ( finely chopped)- 3
- Roasted cashew nuts- 1/4 cup
- Red chili-3
- Vegetable oil for frying
- FOR THE BATTER
- All-purpose flour- 3/4 cup
- Cold water- 1 cup
- Salt- 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper- 1/4 tsp, optional
- FOR THE SAUCE
- Dark soy sauce- 2 1/2 tbsp.
- Oyster sauce- 1 tbsp.
- Brown sugar- 1/2 tsp.
- In a medium bowl combine the batter ingredients ( flour, cold water and salt) and whisk until smooth.
- Heat frying oil in a small saucepan to 375 /190 C.
- Dip cauliflower florets in the batter and coat evenly, shake off excess batter, then fry until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- In a small bowl mix together dark soy sauce, oyster sauce and brown sugar.
- In a large skillet heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil, saute the chopped onion until golden brown, add garlic and chili and cook until fragrant.
- Add the sauce and cook for 10 seconds. Then, add the battered cauliflower florets, cashew nuts and mix to coat with the sauce.
- Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
- Category: Vegan recipes
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: vegan kung pao cauliflower, cauliflower recipes, vegan