If you want something to satisfy your sweet tooth, you must try this Kunafa recipe. It is an iconic, devilishly delicious Middle Eastern dessert, made with shredded Kataifi, creamy filling and soaked in condensed milk.
- Preheat your oven to 180 C/ 356 F with the rack on the bottom of the oven.
- Kunafa crust. Coat your 22 cm/ 9 inch baking tray with some butter/ghee.
- Shred semi-frozen kunafa dough into 1.5 inch/ 4 cm long pieces over a large bowl. Add the remaining butter and mix with kunafa shreds to coat evenly. Transfer half of the dough to the tray and press firmly ,lining sides of the tray so it will hold the cream filling and prevent it from burning.
- Making cream filling. In a medium saucepan heat milk and heavy cream; then add sugar and cornstarch and whisk until completely dissolved over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil until the mixture thickens. Remove from the stove and pour over the crust, spread with a spatula.
- Top with the remaining kunafa shreds evenly and bake 30-40 minutes or until golden.
- Remove kunafa from the oven and pour condensed milk, covering the entire surface. You might not need the whole can.
- Garnish with ground pistachio.
- Allow kunafa rest for 10-15 min to absorb the condensed milk.
- Serve warm.
A 9 inch/ 22 cm round baking dish.
MAKING AHEAD OF TIME
You can assemble kunafa in a baking dish, cover with plastic and freeze. Thaw, once you are ready to bake. Bake as mentioned n the recipe above.
DEEP ORANGE COLOR
To give kunafa deep orange color, you will need to mix orange food coloring with the melted butter and pour it over the shredded phyllo dough; then mix using latex gloves to prevent hands from coloring.
I didn't have orange color on hand, I used liquid red color and yellow to get orange.
If you prefer thicker filling, use milk-1 cup, heavy cream-1 cup and 3 tbsp. of cornstarch.
WHERE TO BUY KUNAFA/KADAIFI DOUGH
You can find kadaifi dough in Middle Eastern stores, amazon or in online Middle Eastern Food Stores.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: kunafa recipe
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 19 g
- Sodium: 388 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fiber: 0.6 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 23 mg
Keywords: kunafa, kunafeh, kunafa recipe, cream cheese kunafa