This Russian Honey Cake is so soft,rich,moist and creamy. You can barely notice the honey, yet it has the ultimate depth of taste. Tickle your taste buds with this Russian honey-goodness. This cake will become your new favorite.
- HONEY CAKE BATTER
- For 7 layered cake + 1 layer to make breadcrumbs
- Honey- 4 tbsp.
- Baking soda- 1 tsp.
- Butter- 100 gm (7 tbsp.)
- Large Eggs- 3
- Sugar-3/4 cup
- Cream of Tartar- 1⁄4 tsp.
- All-purpose flour – 2 cups.
- FOR THE CREAM FROSTING
- Whipping cream- 800 ml or 3 1/3 cup
- Sweetened Condensed milk – 1 can
- Preheat your oven oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven.
- TO MAKE THE CAKE BATTER.Place honey in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer, add baking soda. Cook it, stirring occasionally, until it darkens and turns to very dark amber; 4-5 minutes over medium heat. Add the butter and stir until it completely melts. Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- Use a stand mixer or a hand mixer, beat the eggs until frothy (about 1 minute), add cream of tartar. Continue beating and gradually adding the sugar. Beat until the batter is thick and light colored (about 5-6 minutes).
- Pour the honey-butter mixture into the bowl with beaten eggs. Whisk well to combine.
- Gradually add the flour into the batter, whisking to incorporate the flour completely with each addition, until the batter is very smooth.
- Take a few spoons of batter and evenly spread it over the prepared silicon mat using a spatula to make a 10-inch circle. You may need to add a little more batter to cover the patchy areas. Put in the preheated oven and bake it ащк 3-5 minutes or until golden. Repeat with the remaining batter. Makes 8 layers. Allow to cool.
- TO MAKE CREAM FROSTING. Pour the whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk into the bowl of your stand mixer and beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- TO MAKE BREADCRUMBS. Take 1 layer, break it into small pieces and transfer to a food processor. Pulse until you get fine crumbs. You can crush it using a rolling pin too.
- TO ASSEMBLE HONEY CAKE. Spread about 4-5 tbsp frosting on each layer and press layers down to fill any air gaps. Spread the remaining frosting up the sides and across the top.
- Use your hands or spatula to generously dust the sides and top with the cake crumbs and refrigerate 6-7 hours or overnight to let frosting moisten and soften the cake layers.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Cakes
- Cuisine: Russian