Makes appox. 1 L
- Fresh plum tomatoes with liquid- 1 kg or 1 qt of canned plum tomatoes.
- Medium onions (finely chopped)- 2
- Garlic cloves ( minced)- 1/2 tbs
- Olive oil- 3 tbsp
- Ground black pepper- as needed (I added 1/2 tsp)
- Salt- to taste
- Basil chiffonade- 2 tbsp
- In a medium nonreactive pan / saucepan heat 3 tbsp of olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until light golden color , 10-12 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until the garlic is fragrant & tender, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the chopped tomatoes to the pan. Bring the sauce to simmer. Cook over low heat ,stirring from time to time, about 25-30 minutes. Cooking time depends on the quality of the tomatoes. Also tomatoes's moisture content can increase of decrease the cooking time.
- Now it is time to add the basil chiffonade, salt & black pepper. Simmer another 2-3 minutes.
- Puree the sauce using a food mill with a coarse disk to make a rough puree. You can skip this step if you need the chunky sauce.
- Use the sauce immediately or refrigerate for later use.
a nonreactive medium pan or a wide shallow pot.
Can I use the canned tomatoes?
Yes, you can. With canned tomatoes , you may need to drain off some of the liquid first. You can process the canned tomatoes in a food mill before making sauce.
How should I cook vegetables?
The way you cook vegetables will effect the flavor of the finished sauce. I advice to cook vegetables just until they become tender. Lightly brown them to get a more complex roasted flavor.
How long to cook the tomato sauce?
Cooking time depends on the quality of the tomatoes. But remember one thing:the less cooking time, the better for any vegetable sauce. Cook this homemade tomato sauce just long enough for the flavors to meld together.
The sauce is very sweet
If the sauce is too sweet, add stock or water.
Can I puree the tomato sauce in a blender?
If you don't have a food mill and plan to puree your sauce in blender, add a small amount of olive oil, it will help to emulsify the sauce, creating a lighter yet a thicker texture. Pureeing the sauce in a blender will change its color from red to orange.
- Category: Sauces/Vegan
- Cuisine: Italian