Best Homemade goulash! I got this recipe from my Hungarian friend.
- Beef- 1 kg / 2,2 lbs
- Beer- 500 ml or 2 cups
- Water- 1/4 cup
- Vegetable oil- 100 ml or 1/4 cup
- Onion-500 gm ( 4-5 medium)
- Garlic cloves- 6- 7
- All-purpose flour- 4-5 tbsp
- Tomato paste-1/3 cup
- Paprika- 3 tbsp
- Salt-To Taste
- Pepper- To Taste
- Thyme- 1 tsp
- Marjoram- 1 Tsp
- Bay leaves- 4-5
- Bread ( Traditionally Goulash is served in rye bread)
- In a large pot, deep casserole dish heat the vegetable oil.
- Dice and add onions and cook until golden color.
- Add Paprika, salt , pepper,Thyme, Marjoram and bay leaves, along with garlic cloves (pressed) & tomato paste.
- Add beef in the pot, stir well until beef is well coated in the seasonings.
- Add the beer.
- Mix well and bring the pot to simmer. Cook 2-2.30 hours or until meat is tender.
- In a small pan, fry flour for a minute.
- At this point take a bowl and combine four with lukewarm water (not boiling).
- Gradually pour it into goulash.
- Allow to cook on low heat at a brisk simmer for another 15 minutes.
How to make a bread bowl for Goulash?
Use a round bread loaf. ( or close to round).
Preheat your oven to 400 F / 220 C.
Cut the bread bowl. Start by taking the top of the bread. Remove most of inner bread.( Use your fingers to remove the chunks of bread). Be sure not to break bread crust.
Brush insides with olive oil.
Bake 10-15 minutes.
- Category: Beef Recipe
- Cuisine: Hungarian