- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large white onions, halved and thinly sliced
- Ground black pepper and salt, as needed
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup beef broth or stock, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 5-6 fresh sage leaves, plus more to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°C (200°C). Drizzle a 9x12-inch baking dish with olive oil. Keep aside.
- Melt butter over medium high heat in a large pan or skillet. Add the sliced onions and season with salt, 1 teaspoon of dried thyme and ground black pepper. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until soft.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until onions are caramelized ( about 15 minutes), stirring from time to time.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of broth and balsamic vinegar and cook until the pan gets dry. The onions should be browned an look jammy.
- Add in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Place the chicken breast on a cutting board, put you hand on top of the breast and carefully cut an opening, about 3/4 of the way through the breast. Repeat with the remaining breasts. Season all over and inside with 1 teaspoon thyme, salt and pepper.
- Stuff with 2 tablespoons of french onions, cheeses and seal with toothpicks.
- Transfer the remaining french onion and 1/2 cup of broth to the prepared baking dish. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in the same skillet over medium high heat. Sear the stuffed chicken for 4-5 minutes each side or until golden brown. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Top with fresh sage leaves.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until fully cooked. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: Chicken recipes
- Cuisine: French
- Calories: 557kcal
- Sugar: 6g
- Sodium: 655mg
- Fat: 29g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 55g
- Cholesterol: 185mg
Keywords: french onion stuffed chicken breast, stuffed chicken breast, chicken fillet, chicken breast recipes