- Sliced white onions- 6 cups
- Unsalted butter- 3-4 tbsp
- All purpose flour- 3 tbsp
- Chicken broth/water- 9 cups
- Dry white wine- 1/2cup ( optional)
- Salt-To Taste( I added 1 tbsp)
- White pepper- 1 tbsp
- Grated Parmesan cheese- 1 1/2 - 2 cups
- Dry Thyme- 1 tbsp
- Bay leaves- 3
- Baguette- 1
- Peel and slice onions. Take a large saucepan and melt 3 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of oil. Cook onions slowly in the covered saucepan for about 30 minutes on slow heat.
- Increase the heat to moderate, add salt to taste( you can add chicken cube), and cook for another 20 minutes until onions become golden brown.
- Add 3 tbsp of flour and continue stirring 3-4 minutes.
- Pour broth and wine into saucepan. Allow the soup simmer for 30 minutes( covered). Add seasoning to taste.
- Pour soup into soup cups, top with hard-toasted french baguette slices and grated Parmesan cheese. Put soup cups in preheated to 200 C oven for 15 minutes.
Slice baguette and bake bread slices in the reheated to 325 F or 170 C oven for 40 minutes.Bread will turn very dry and lightly browned.
You can brush bread slices with garlic olive oil.
- Category: SOUP RECIPES
- Cuisine: FRENCH