- Cod- 600 gm
- Baby spinach leaves ( washed)-200 gm
- FOR BATTER
- All-purpose flour – ½ cup
- Black pepper- ½ tsp
- Salt- to taste
- FOR FRYING
- Peanut oil- 200 ml
- FOR T SAUCE
- Unsalted butter (melted) - 2 tbsp.
- All- purpose flour- 2 tbsp.
- Milk (warm) - 2 cups
- Heavy cream-1/4 cup
- Egg yolks (lightly beaten) - 2
- Lemon juice- 2 tbsp.
- Salt- to taste
- Ground black pepper- 1 tsp
- Whisk together all-purpose flour*, black pepper and salt in a shallow bowl. Crack 2 eggs into another shallow bowl & also whisk.
- Portion (cut) cod fillet, season with salt and pepper to your liking, then get a piece of cod, dip in the egg mixture ( make sure it is fully coated on both sides) & drag it in the flour back and forth to coat completely. Repeat the same procedure with all the pieces of cod, then allow to rest in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat the peanut oil in a deep, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Fry the cod pieces over medium heat 8 minutes (4 minutes per side). Transfer to the plate (you might need to fry the coated cod pieces in batches).
- Making sauce:Melt 2 tbsp. butter in a large pan, stir in the flour, then pour the warm milk and whisk with a wire whip. Cook 4-5 minutes, stirring continuously. Remove from the heat & gradually add the egg yolks, whisking constantly to prevent curdling. Put back on the heat and bring to a boil, whisking the sauce constantly for another 1-2 minutes until it becomes thick.
- Add the cream & baby spinach leaves. Cook 2-3 minutes or until all the spinach is wilted. Season with the black pepper and stir in the lemon juice.
- Transfer the fried cod pieces into the sauce.
- Bon appétit!
* GF ( GLUTEN FREE) -Substitute all purpose flour for cornstarch.
Frying pans & shallow bowls
- Cuisine: Italian/French