Crunchy roll sushi is an incredibly delicious variation of California sushi roll. It is loaded with shrimp tempura, avocado and has a crispy panko topping which is out of this world! Easy to make yet very delicious!
For the Sushi Rice:
- Sushi rice- 1 1/2 cup
- Water-1 1/2 cup
- Rice vinegar-2 tablespoons, optional
- Sugar-1/2 teaspoon
For the Shrimp Tempura California Roll:
- Pre-cooked shrimp tempura or imitation crab- 8
- Avocado ( ripe but still firm, sliced)-1
- Nori sheets ( cut in half to make 4)-2
For the Crunchy Topping:
- Panko breadcrumbs-1 cup
- Olive oil- 2-3 tablespoons
- Cook sushi rice according to the package instructions. Once cooked, add rice vinegar(mixed with sugar) and allow to cool down slightly.
- Preheat your oven to 450F|235C. Bake the frozen pre-cooked shrimp tempura for 10-15 minutes (depends on the size of the shrimp). Keep aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add the panko bread crumbs and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden, stirring constantly. Allow to cool completely.
California Sushi Rolls
- Cover the bamboo mat with plastic wrap to prevent rice from sticking.
- Place the nori on the mat, shiny side down.
- Spread about 3/4 cup of cooked rice over the nori evenly. Keep a bowl filled with water to dip your hands when you are working with rice.
- Flip it over so the rice is facing down.
- Place 2 pieces of shrimp tempura and 2 slices of avocado on the nori. Roll it up tightly. Remove the plastic wrap. Repeat with the remaining nori sheets.
- Place the panko bread crumbs on sushi mat, covered with plastic. Roll each sushi roll in the toasted breadcrumbs. Remove the plastic and slice sushi using a sharp knife.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Sushi recipes
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Calories: 70kcal
- Sugar: 1g
- Sodium: 34mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
Keywords: crunchy roll sushi, sushi, california roll crunchy sushi