Ready to indulge in the decadence of Steakhouse Creamed Spinach? Treat yourself to a creamy and flavorful side dish that pairs perfectly with your favorite steak or roasted chicken.
- 1 pound spinach (baby leaf spinach or fresh leaf spinach , or use ½ pound frozen spinach)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced or minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half & half (or heavy cream)
- 1 cup whole milk
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes ( or cayenne pepper)
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spinach and cook for about 1 minute until it begins to wilt. Place into a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking immediately. Drain.
- Heat up butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until it melts.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and stir occasionally while cooking for 2 to 3 minutes until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the flour to the skillet and stir constantly while cooking for about a minute until it becomes foamy.
- Gradually whisk in the half and half and milk. Add the nutmeg, red chili flakes, salt, and pepper into the skillet. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes until it slightly thickens.
- Add the spinach and Parmesan cheese into the skillet and mix them in. Cook the mixture for another minute to heat everything through.
- Serve and enjoy!
- We recommend to consume this delicious steakhouse creamed spinach within 3 days. To keep it fresh, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Freeze: Place the leftover creamed spinach in an airtight container and freeze it for up to 3 months. When you're ready to enjoy it, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Before reheating, make sure to drain any excess water that may accumulate on top.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Category: Side dishes
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 76 kcal
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 359 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 9 mg
Keywords: steakhouse creamed spinach, steakhouse creamed spinach recipe, best creamed spinach