Looking for crunchy cracker recipe? Hooray! These crackers are very crunchy & perfect with any salad or soup or you can eat them as a tasty snack. Yummy!
Crackers are just awesome, thin and crunchy snack, perfect for any occasion. Have you ever tried making your own crispy seed-topped crackers? Or maybe you’re one of those who thinks that crackers seem likely to be more effort than they’d be worth, especially when a box of good crackers is waiting for you at the grocery store just around the corner.
Actually, you will be stricken by how easy they are made and in fact crackers are one of the easiest homemade pantries. The first time it may take you 2 hours of preparation and cooking time, next times you make it – not more than an hour and a half. After all, it depends on your mastery!
The good thing about making your own crackers is that they are so simple that it’s difficult to ruin the recipe. And it is just a blank canvas for your creativity and imagination. You can experiment as much as you want with the thickness, toppings (different kind of seeds, dried herbs, chili powder, cheese or different seasoning), and baking time, because when you under-bake them you’ll get a crisp-chewy texture which is perfect for soup. If you over-bake them, you get super-crispy crackers, so it all depends on your taste. Generally, they are baked until golden brown, but better try different types before you get exactly what you want.
The particular flax-seeds crackers that I offer in the recipe are thin, have a dense, crispy but not crumbly texture. No need to mention how good flax-seeds are for your health, and using whole-grain flour will contribute to your diet.
The recipe follows four simple steps: make the dough, roll it thin, cut, then bake.
PASTA MACHINE OR ROLLING PIN?
The most challenging about homemade crackers is rolling the dough so that it’s thin enough to get crispy crackers. The best is from 1/64 to 1/16 inch (5-2mm) thick. If your crackers are too thick, they’ll be soft and resemble bread rather than a good cracker.
You can try and roll it by hand with a rolling pin, which is a very laborious task and if you’re not skilled enough you probably won’t achieve an even thickness. To make it quicker and easier, and achieve a good result, I used Imperia pasta machine. It saved my time and efforts.
The next step is cutting the dough.
After crackers are ready, let them cool a little bit in the turned-off oven with a slightly opened door, this will make them crispier.
Don’t forget about parchment paper, and remember that it’s a baker’s best friend. Rolling and cutting the dough on
a parchment paper makes transferring simpler which is even more crucial with a thin dough like this.
HOW TO STORE CRACKERS
When the crackers are ready, you can store them, but only in an airtight container. First, make sure they cooled completely. Keeping the crackers away from the air will help maintain their crisp longer.
CRACKER RECIPE WITH FLAX SEEDS - SUPER CRISPY
- Total Time: 2 hours 15 mins
- Active dry yeast- 1½ tsp / 7g
- Honey- 1 tbsp
- Warm water ( 100°-120° F /40°-50 ° C)- 1 ¾ cup
- All purpose flour- 4 cups
- Whole wheat flour- ½ cup
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Sesame oil- 2 ½ tbsp
- Flax seeds-½ cup
- Olive oil- as needed( for brushing dough)
- Put yeast & honey into the bowl of your stand mixer. Add 1¾ cups warm water ( not hot) to dissolve the yeast. Put aside for 10 minutes until yeast activates.
- In a large bowl mix the bread flour, all-purpose flour & salt. Using the dough hook attachment, add in the flours mixture, sesame oil & keep kneading until the dough becomes smooth and elastic. You might need to add more flour. Add the flax seeds and knead for another 2-3 minutes. Brush the dough with some oil to prevent from drying out. Cover the bowl with the dough with plastic, allow to rise in a warm, draft-free location.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) with the rack in the center. Divide the dough into 5-6 pieces. Flatten each piece with your hands. Using pasta machine ( I used Imperia pasta machine), roll each piece to the thickness of your liking. I chose the thinnest setting ( # 1- 0.5mm) for Imperia pasta machine. Transfer the rolled dough onto the large baking tray lined with foil/ parchment paper. Cut the dough sheets into crackers of the desired shape and size. Bake immediately until golden brown ( 10-15 minutes for crackers of this thickness). I baked the crackers in batches. While the first batch was baking, I was rolling the sheets for the second batch.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Category: Healthy snacks
- Cuisine: International
Try this cracker recipe and share your experience!
Leave a Reply