A colorful blend of fresh ingredients and mild spices with a touch of lime juice. It is one of the easiest dips to make because you throw everything into one bowl and it’s ready!
- FOR THE SALSA
- Tomatoes ( small diced)- 3 cups / 1 lb /500 gm
- Yellow/Green bell pepper ( seeded and diced)- 1/2 cup
- Red bell pepper ( seeded and diced)- 1/2 cup
- Black eyed peas ( drained and rinsed)- 1 can/ 400 gm/ 14 oz
- White beans ( drained and rinsed)-1 can/ 400 gm/ 14 oz
- Large avocado (peeled, pitted and diced)-1
- Corn ( drained)-1 can/ 400 gm/ 14 oz
- Jalapeno ( pepper, seeded and diced) -1
- Medium onion (finely diced)-1
- Fresh cilantro leaves- 1/2 cups
- COWBOY CAVIAR DRESSING
- Olive oil- 1/4 cup
- Juice of 2 limes
- Dried Mexican oregano- 1 1/2 tsp.
- Garlic clove ( finely chopped)- 2-3
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp.
- Red chili flakes- 1/4 tsp.
- Honey- 1 tbsp.
- Ground black pepper- as needed
- Salt - to taste
- Heat the oil gently over low heat. Once it is warm, add the minced garlic, honey, dried oregano, cumin seeds and red chili flakes. Set aside until cool. Pour the oil into jar or any storage container and add lime juice.
- In a large bowl combine tomatoes, bell peppers, black eyed peas, white beans, avocado, corn, jalapeno, onion and cilantro leaves.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour then toss again just before serving.
* To make a good salad dressing you must achieve a balance between the acid and the oil when you feel the flavor of the acid and it is not dominated by the oil. The acidity of limes vary widely depending on the manufacturer and season, making it necessary to adjust the amount of lime juice.
The ratio for the perfect vinaigrette: 1:3 (lime juice/vinegar+oil).
* Olive oils can be very subtle or intense in flavor. Chose subtle flavored oil so that it will carry the other flavors in the vinaigrette.
* If you plan to use vinegar instead of lime juice, keep in mind that every vinegar has a different level of acidity.
*I advise to refrigerate this herbed oil for at least 3-6 hours ( depends on the intensity of flavors you want to achieve). It can be prepared 2-3 days ahead.
* Before dressing Cowboy caviar, recombine all the herbed oil ingredients.
EQUIPMENT FOR MAKING DRESSING
A small bowl, a small saucepan.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Salads
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex