This Chicken Stroganoff is a creamy and hearty comfort food! Seared chicken breasts are smothered in a creamy mushroom sauce. A perfect dinner that will be on your table in 30 minutes!
FOR CHICKEN BREASTS
- Large chicken breasts ( halved horizontally to make 4 pieces)-2
- Onion powder- 1 tsp.
- Garlic powder- 1 tsp.
- Paprika- 1/2 tsp.
- Ground black pepper-1/4 tsp.
- Salt- 1/2 tsp.
- Flour- 3 tbsp.
- Vegetable oil- 2 tbsp, for frying
CHICKEN STROGANOFF GRAVY
- Unsalted butter ( cubed)-2 tbsp.
- Onion ( finely chopped)-1
- Garlic cloves ( chopped)-3
- Brown mushrooms ( sliced)- 0.8 pound ( 400 gm)
- Dijon mustard- 2 tbsp.
- Paprika- 1 tsp.
- Salt - to taste
- Flour- 1 tbsp.
- Low sodium chicken broth/stock- 2 cups
- Worcestershire sauce- 2 tbsp.
- Black pepper- to taste
- Sour cream- 1/2 cup
- Salt- as needed
- Fresh parsley ( chopped)- 1 tbsp, to garnish
- Using a sharp knife, cut each chicken breast in half horizontally. Season each chicken piece all over with onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, ground black pepper and salt.
- Put the flour into a shallow dish, dredge each chicken breast in it. Keep aside.
- In a large skillet/ non-stick pan heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat, then sear chicken until golden brown and almost cooked through, about 8 minutes ( 4 minutes per side). Transfer to a plate and cover with aluminium foil.
- In the same skillet/ pan melt butter, add the chopped onion and saute until transparent. Then, add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 20-30 seconds. Add the sliced brown mushrooms and cook over medium high heat until golden. It usually takes 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in Dijon mustard and paprika and mix well.
- Add in flour and cook about 50-60 second, then pour the chicken stock/broth and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to mix everything. Cook the sauce for about 3-4 minutes or until it thickens slightly.
- Season the sauce with black pepper and stir in the sour cream. Keep stirring until cream melts through the sauce. Continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes.
- Return the cooked chicken breasts and allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes or until chicken is heated through and completely cooked. Remove from the heat.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve over noodles, cacio e pepe, pasta, mashed potatoes or steamed jasmine rice.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Chicken recipes
- Cuisine: Russian
- Calories: 360 kcal
- Sugar: 4 g
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 32 g
Keywords: chicken breast recipes, chicken stroganoff, stroganoff