This chicken meatloaf with bacon is surprisingly easy for such a hearty, comforting meal. All you need is some chicken breasts, a couple extra ingredients and flavor-packing bacon and cheese.
For The Meatloaf
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large zucchini, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper, as needed
- 4 large chicken breasts halved horizontally to make 8 fillets
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or rosemary
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Grano Padano or Parmesan ( please use fresh)
- 10 oz (300 grams) thinly sliced bacon
- Fresh thyme, as needed
- 1 lb (500 gram) green beans
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400°F ( 220°C). Drizzle a large baking dish with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Set aside.
- Wash zucchini and trim off ends. Using a box grater or food processor with the shredding disc, grate zucchini. Place in a large mixing bowl and set for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, squeeze handfuls of zucchini over the sink to get rid of extra liquid. Alternatively you can use cheesecloth if you have one on hand. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini, onion and garlic; cook until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, place the chicken fillets on the cutting board, cover with plastic and pound with a rolling pin or the flat side of a meat mallet. Work with two chicken fillets at a time. Repeat with the remaining breasts. This step is optional, but it helps to tenderize the chicken.
- Place the fillets on the parchment paper and form a rectangle. Season the chicken with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Spread the zucchini mixture over the chicken in an even layer, top with shredded Grano Padano ( or Parmesan).
- Roll the meat to make a log. CAREFULLY transfer the log into the prepared baking dish. Discharge the parchment paper.
- Arrange the bacon slices ( crosswise) over the loaf. Overlap them and tuck under to prevent from curling. Place 2-3 thyme sprigs on top of the meatloaf.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, arrange the green beans around the meatloaf. Drizzle the beans with lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Bake further for 10-15 minutes or until the beans are crisp-tender.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Category: Chicken recipes
- Cuisine: Italian
- Calories: 508kcal
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 780mg
- Fat: 36g
- Saturated Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 34mg
- Cholesterol: 108mg
Keywords: chicken meatloaf, meatloaf, meatloaf with bacon, bacon wrapped meatloaf