This carrot cake recipe is one you need to make fluffy and moist homemade carrot cake with a luxurious cream cheese frosting and toasted pecans! Heaven in every bite!
- FOR CARROT CAKE BATTER
- Pecan/ Walnuts ( finely chopped) -1 cup
- Carrots ( raw & finely grated) - 2 1/2 cup or 350 gm
- All purpose flour - 2 cups
- Large eggs- 4
- Sugar- 1 1/2 cup
- Vegetable oil( flavorless oil)- 1 cup
- Baking powder- 2 tsp.
- Ground cinnamon- 1 1/2 tsp.
- Salt - 1/2 tsp.
- Vanilla extract- 2 tsp.
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- Whipping cream -800 ml or 3 1/2 cup
- Cream cheese- 250 gm
- Icing sugar- 2 cups
- Vanilla extract- 2 tbsp.
- Lemon zest ( finely grated)- 1 tsp.
- For the Cake Adornments
- Walnuts ( toasted & finely grated)- 1 1/2 cup, plus 10-15 walnuts for the topping
- Preheat your oven to 180 C / 350 F with the rack in the center of the oven.
- Use the food processor to pulverize the walnuts/pecans*. Put them in a processor bowl and pulse until they are ground as you like.
- Grate the carrots using a food processor or grater.
- Butter two- 9 x 2 inch (23 x 5 cm) cake pans and line the bottom of each pan with a circle of parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and ground cinnamon.
- In another large bowl beat the eggs until frothy (about 1 minute), using a hand mixer**. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and beat until the batter is thick on high speed (about 3 - 4 minutes).
- Gradually add oil and flour mixture and beat just until incorporated.
- Fold in the grated carrots and chopped nuts. Divide the batter evenly*** between the two prepared pans, place in the oven and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- In the meantime prepare cream cheese frosting. Pour cold cream, add sugar and vanilla extract in a chilled bowl of your stand mixer. Whip on medium-high speed until medium peaks form, about 3-4 minutes. Add the cream cheese, lemon zest and increase the speed once all the ingredients are incorporated into the cream. Whip until you get soft peaks.****
- Remove the cakes from oven and let cool on a wire rack. After 10-15 minutes invert the cakes onto the wire rack, remove the pans and parchment paper. Allow them to cool completely before frosting.
- Cut each cake layer in half to get 4 layers.
- Place 1 layer on your cake stand. Cover the top with frosting evenly. Top with 2nd layer, spread frosting, and then top with the 3rd layer, again spread frosting and top with the the 4th. Spread remaining frosting all over the top and sides. Decorate the sides and top of the cake with the ground nuts. Scatter some nuts on top. Refrigerate cake for at least 3-4 hours before serving.
* Before grinding nuts , make sure they are at room temperature, not too cold and not hot from toasting in the oven.
** You can use electric stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment.
*** About 780 gm batter in each pan
****Soft peaks: when you turn your whisk upside down, the peaks are just starting to hold.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Cake recipes
- Cuisine: International