Take your mashed potatoes to the next level with this caramelized shallot mashed potatoes recipe. Creamy, savory, and full of flavor, it's the perfect side dish for any meal!
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound shallots, thinly sliced (about 2-3 large)
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1-2 roasted whole garlic bulbs
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil on medium-high. Add the shallots and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring often until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to remove the shallots to a plate lined with paper towel. Discharge the oil.
- Add the potatoes to a pot filled with cold water and season with salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until they are just fork-tender, approximately 15 minutes. Drain the water.
- In the same skillet used to cook the shallots, combine butter and heavy cream over medium-low heat. Stir until the butter melts, approximately 2 minutes. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes into the hot butter mixture. Add the roasted garlic and half of the shallots, then stir well. Adjust the seasoning according to taste.
- Garnish with the remaining shallots.
- Serve and enjoy!
Storage: Transfer to a large microwave-safe bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for up to 2 days. When ready to reheat, use the tip of a knife to poke several holes in the plastic wrap, then microwave on medium-high (75 percent) power until heated through. Stir the mashed potatoes halfway through reheating.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: Side dishes
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 784 kcal
- Sugar: 26 g
- Sodium: 1431 mg
- Fat: 56 g
- Saturated Fat: 25 g
- Carbohydrates: 68 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 22 g
- Cholesterol: 102 mg
Keywords: shallot mashed potatoes, garlic shallot mashed potatoes, caramelized shallot mashed potatoes