- Ground beef- 400 gm / 3/4 pounds
- Onions ( finely chopped)- 1/2 cup
- Carrots ( grated)- 2/3 cup
- Celery ( chopped)- 2/3 cup
- Olive oil- 3 tbsp.
- Heavy cream- 1 cup
- Whole nutmeg-1
- Ground black pepper- as needed
- Dry white wine- 1 cup
- Italian plum tomatoes ( canned, with their juices)- 1 1/2 cup
- Salt - to taste
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS
- There is no more perfect combination than Bolognese sauce with homemade Bolognese tagliatelle.
- Tagliatelle pasta- 500 gm ( homemade or store-bought)
- Heat 3 tbsp. olive oil in a large pan, add in the chopped onions & saute until translucent, then add in the chopped carrots & celery. Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring the veggies from time to time. Transfer to a 6-quart slow cooker bowl.
- Add in the remaining ingredients (the ground beef, heavy cream, plum tomatoes, dry wine, the whole nutmeg, ground black pepper & salt). Cover and cook on " low" for 6-7 hours, or "high" for 5-6 hours.
- Toss with the cooked drained pasta, adding a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
MEAT should have a lot of marbling like a high-quality steak. The more marbled it is, the sweeter sauce will be.DON'T USE A LEAN CUT for this sauce. The best part is the neck portion.
Add salt at the very beginning of cooking to extract the juices of meat.
If you don't have a crock pot, use an enameled cast-iron saucepan, cook the sauce no less than 3 hours , at the merest simmer. The more you cook the sauce, the better it will be.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Category: Sauces
- Cuisine: Italian