This juicy Bobby Flay Salisbury steak is an American comfort food staple that’s easy to make from scratch. Juicy beef patties are smothered in a flavorful mushroom gravy.
- Vegetable oil- 4 tablespoons, divided
- Onion ( finely diced)-1
- Garlic cloves (minced)-2
- Ground beef (80 % lean)- 1 lb (500 g)
- Panko breadcrumbs-1/3 cup
- Large egg- 1
- Tomato sauce (marinara)-1/3 cup
- Yellow mustard-1 teaspoon
- Worcestershire sauce-1 teaspoon
- Dried oregano-1 teaspoon
- Ground black pepper-1/4 teaspoon
- Salt - to taste
- Vegetable oil-1 tablespoon
- Onion (sliced)-1
- White button mushrooms (sliced)-9 oz (250 g)
- Low sodium beef broth-2 1/2 cup
- Onion powder-1 teaspoon
- Garlic powder -1/2 teaspoon
- Worcestershire sauce-1 1/2 teaspoon
- Cornstarch- 3 tablespoons +1/4 cup water (or beef stock)
- Salt and pepper- as needed
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onion and saute until translucent, about 4 minutes. Then, add the garlic and cook further until fragrant, about 40 -60 seconds. Allow to cool down for 1-2 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix together the cooked onion, beef, Panko breadcrumbs, egg, tomato sauce, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, dried oregano, pepper and salt. Mix with your hands JUST until combined. Don't overmix otherwise the steaks will be tough.
- Form 4-5 oval steaks.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the same skillet. Brown the steaks in batches, about for 2 minutes ( 1 minute per side). Transfer to a plate. The steaks won't be cooked yet.
- In the same skillet heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Saute onion until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook further until golden.
- Return the steaks back to the skillet, pour the beef broth; season with onion powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch with water. Gradually add the mixture into the skillet. Cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. The steaks are done, when the internal temperature reaches 160 F (71 C).
- Serve with mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: Beef recipes
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 358kcal
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 1440mg
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 32g
- Cholesterol: 120mg
Keywords: Salisbury steak, steak, ground beef