Blini come out tender, delicate and delicious. They can be stuffed with a sweet and savory fillings.
- Homemade buttermilk- 2 cups or 500 ml
- All purpose flour-1 cup
- Eggs ( medium)- 2
- Sugar- 2 tbsp
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Baking powder- 1 tsp
- Vegetable oil- 3 tbsp
- Butter - as needed ( for greasing)
- In a large bowl mix eggs with the buttermilk.
- In another bowl combine flour with sugar, salt, baking powder. Mix well.
- Pour the flour - mixture into the bowl with egg- mixture. Add the vegetable oil. Blend until smooth. The consistency of the batter will be thicker than cream.
- Heat a medium non-stick pan over high heat. Grease generously with some butter.
- Using a measuring spoon ( 1/4 cup) , pour the batter in the middle of the pan. Tilt the pan from side to side while pouring, forming a circle with the batter.
- When a blin ( pancake) looks porous , flip it with a thin spatula. It takes about 30 seconds per side.
- Transfer the blin to a plate.
- Repeat same with the remaining batter.
- Serve immediately with honey or sour cream.
Makes approximately 18-20 blini
You can stuff blini with any filling you like.
Equipment: a non-stick pan, a measuring spoon ( 1/4 cup)
- Category: Pastry/ Breakfast ideas
- Cuisine: Russian