- FOR FISH
- Fresh Nile perch fillets- 1 kg or 2.2 lbs
- Any fish spices ( of your choice)- 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice- 1/4 cup
- Onion powder- 1 tsp
- FOR THIN CREAM SAUCE*
- All purpose flour- 2 tbsp
- Butter- 3 tbsp
- Milk ( hot)- 1 1/2 cups
- Heavy cream( hot)- 1/2 cup
- Salt- 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper- 1/2 tsp
- Dry sage- 1/2 tsp
- Scallions ( sliced) -2 tbsp
- Equipment: a wooden spatula, a wire whip
- Preheat your oven to 400 F / 200 C with the rack in the center of the oven.
- In a small bowl combine the fish spices, lemon juice & onion powder.
- Transfer the fish fillets into a large skillet/ pan ( oven safe). Pour the marinade over the fish fillets and coat them evenly. Marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Put the skillet/pan with the fish fillets in the oven & bake 5-7 minutes.
- In a heavy bottomed pan melt butter over low heat.
- Add in flour and cook until the butter and flour start bubbling without coloring ( about 2 minutes). In France they call it a white roux.
- Remove from the heat. When the roux stops bubbling , pour in 1 1/2 cup of hot milk and 1/2 cup hot heavy cream. Beat with a wire whip to blend.
- Again put the pan over medium high heat, stirring until the sauce gets to boil. Boil only for 1 minute.
- Add the scallions, sage & season with black pepper. Adjust salt to your taste.
- Remove the skillet from the oven. Pour in the hot cream sauce & place in the oven again. Bake 5-7 minutes more.
- Serve immediately.
FLOUR MEASUREMENTS FOR SAUCE THICKNESS
Thin sauce- 1 tbsp flour per 1 cup of liquid ( stock,milk, water...)
Medium thick sauce- 1 1/2 tbsp flour per 1 cup of liquid
Thick sauce- 2 tbsp flour per 1 cup of liquid.
Cook this cream sauce in a heavy iron saucepan. Don't use aluminium saucepans for any kind of creamy sauces. The sauce can pick up a metallic taste or an aluminium pan can discolor the sauce.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Seafood/Fish recipes
- Cuisine: French